• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter buying guide needed!

SUPALOSDOG

I have recently got into vinyl graphics and would like to buy my own plotter instread of paying another shop in town for my jobs. I have had trouble finding good info on what to buy. I would like to buy new and stick with quality brands. I would also like to have the plotter come with tech support, warranty and if possible the software. Pretty much the whole thing... . I would like to see what is available and which is the best way to go.

I just need somthing dependable to cut vinyl... I would like to spend
2-3k... I don't want to go cheap and have issues later.

Is there anywhere in Florida where plotters are sold?

Thanks guys,

Supalosdog

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In Florida, you can get a choice of good plotters from

Advantage Sign Supply - Tampa 800 510-4044
Grimco - Orlando 800-266-4078
Sign Supply USA - West Palm Beach
Diamond Supply - St. Petersburg
Tubelite - Orlando

Custom Signs

What kinda software are you going to use? Do you already have a Graphics software? I think your choice of software is just as "if not more" important as your cutter. Notice the cutter I have, it has a cat name and I have used it for five years now with no problems at all. I will say that what I know now and talking to alot of people here, if I knew then what I know now I would purchase either a Roland or Graphtec. I don't think you can go wrong with either. And as for as software, I really like Flexi. Just my 2 cents.

SUPALOSDOG

you guys rock!

I use Illustrator to make the art and for now have been sending the files to my local sign guy. He told me he has to adjust the art a little but it isn't that much work to "translate" the file. I have a Mac G4 that I am using with Illustrator. Could I use that to send my art to my plotter to cut? Maybe it's better to work with a pc?

Bill Modzel

Graphtec has a great solid Illutrator plug-in called Cutting Master for the Mac or Pc. I've been using it for 3 years now and have no complaints. This is my second Graphtec and I'll buy another if ever needed.
I'd recommend Advantage Sign Supply too. Excellent bunch there.

gvgraphics

Some of your name brand and quality cutters are summs, graphtec, roland, ioline. These are some of the best brands out there and most of these are work horses.

SUPALOSDOG

Graphtec Vs Newstar DGI

What do you guys think of the Graphtec CE 5000 24" Engineering series. What about the Newstar DGI plotters? What about signwarehouse?

I like the fact that the graph tech comes with a plug in that would work with my mac and illustrator... Everybody's got their favorites, but overall I don't think I could go wrong with the graphtec... according to all the feedback on this forum...

thanks

high impact

I've had Graphtec plotters and a cat...older Graphtec ce series are good but they have down graded them tremendously recently. Avoid the ce and go with the fc series. It's a bullet proof plotter and you will love it. The fc series is awesome.

I purchased a new ce a few months ago and immediately traded up to the fc series. I would compare the ce to the cat = ok

chopper

summa is what I use great tech support and it comes with co cut pro
that should work with your program//chopper

SUPALOSDOG

Just brought home the Graphtec FC7000-75

Thanks for all your help and advice!!! I found a local tubelite warehouse and found the FC7000... I went ahead and got some oracle for jobs that are in the works. I got it because of it's compatibility with macs and illustrator... without paying for another software package. The machine is beautiful!!!
just the machine cost us $3,995.00.

I have a G4 and it runs both OS 9 and OS X. I am having some trouble figuring out the installation but I have the graphtec number for tech support.
thanks guys!!!
:U Rock: