• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PMS 185C matching troubles

JeremyGSI

I have a Mutoh ValueJet 1638X and I am running my color through Colorgate. I am trying to match a PMS 185C and I just can't seem to dial in this color. I have my color swatch matches on and my Lab color is coming out at 50.2/76.5/48 and my Delta E is a 10.3 reading. I wrote a profile for this material and a majority of the typical PMS colors that I use are fine, but this just seems to out of gamut. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeremy

dypinc

I have a Mutoh ValueJet 1638X and I am running my color through Colorgate. I am trying to match a PMS 185C and I just can't seem to dial in this color. I have my color swatch matches on and my Lab color is coming out at 50.2/76.5/48 and my Delta E is a 10.3 reading. I wrote a profile for this material and a majority of the typical PMS colors that I use are fine, but this just seems to out of gamut. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Have you read with a spectro the LAB values into the RIP from a Pantone book with spot color? Seems when I ran Colorgate I usually had to read in new color values for high gamut spot colors. The Spot name is correct, right?

JeremyGSI

Have you read with a spectro the LAB values into the RIP from a Pantone book with spot color? Seems when I ran Colorgate I usually had to read in new color values for high gamut spot colors. The Spot name is correct, right?
I have read in the Pantone book color and it just seems too much out of gamut. I can hit PMS 186C all day long, but 185....not so much.

dypinc

I have read in the Pantone book color and it just seems too much out of gamut. I can hit PMS 186C all day long, but 185....not so much.

Sounds like you're being limited by the gamut of the printer. One thing to look for is how large of a gamut does your profile target look to be? If it looks like you could get more gamut out then you might have a CM error in the print stream. The other thing that could be tried is to print a series of Pantone patches and see if one more closely matches. Just tell the RIP to replace 185 with that one.

What version of Colorgate are you running. If I remember correctly hitting high gamut color with Colorgate was the most frustrating thing when I ran it. Had the RIP I run now at the time also and it is and was so on with spot colors that I decided not to upgrade Colorgate when I had to to support new printers.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Pantone 185C is likely to be moderately out of gamut, but you should be able to get much closer than 10.3 dE if:

1) Your ink restrictions (primary channel ink limits) are reasonably set.
2) The machine is in a linear state.
3) Your ICC Profile is accurate to the present behavior of the machine.
4) the RIP is recognizing the spot color.

I checked on one of my HP Latex machines running a standard calendared vinyl (3M IJ40) and the predicted dE 2000 for that color is 4.3, which is a good (but not great) simulation of the Pantone. It's definitely out of gamut as seen in the image.

Paul

Attachments

• P185C.JPG
    P185C.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 183