• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pnc-960 stops cutting midway

JimmyG

Need more information like what software, plotter connection, computer type, etc. make a test file plot using various length rectangles and various size circles. Run it and see if you can determine if it stops at a certain x, y, points.

Joke aside, your best bet is to change all the electrolytic capacitors on the board. It shouldn't be a lot.

sophie Reynolds

Need more information like what software, plotter connection, computer type, etc. make a test file plot using various length rectangles and various size circles. Run it and see if you can determine if it stops at a certain x, y, points.
I'm using windows XP laptop, flexisign 7.
test cut cuts fine. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with x or y points - as it can cut all letters or any font. I think its got something to do with the memory of the job. It's got short term memory - a bit like me!

sophie Reynolds

Joke aside, your best bet is to change all the electrolytic capacitors on the board. It shouldn't be a lot.
Any ideas how I can do that. I've been looking at the schematics of the cutter - I have no idea how to read it or what it means... but its got various parts so rather than change all the capacitors, do you think its something specific? Would it be difficult to work it out?

Attila Nagy

Where are you based? I have just finished the renovation of her PNC-1100 Brother and it works fine on Win10, with Flexi.

Last edited:

netsol

Premium Subscriber
sophie, is this a new connection? in other words, was it cutting ok, previously

i have to disagree with ewded, electrolytics would be way down on my list of suggestions.

even though you have a usb connection, thecserial settings for the com port have to match.
sounds like flow control mismatch

go to hardware>device manager
choose your com port >com 5? perhaps?
go properies, advanced all those settings have to match what displays on the settings for the plotter.

https://www.rolanddga.com/support/products/cutting/camm-1-pnc-960-24-vinyl-cutter
it is possible power management for usb port is set to "allow windows to turn off this port to save power". or possibly the firewall. you can disable firewall for an hour to see what happens

Attila Nagy

i have to disagree with ewded, electrolytics would be way down on my list of suggestions.

even though you have a usb connection, thecserial settings for the com port have to match.

go properies, advanced all those settings have to match what displays on the settings for the plotter.

https://www.rolanddga.com/support/products/cutting/camm-1-pnc-960-24-vinyl-cutter
it is possible power management for usb port is set to "allow windows to turn off this port to save power". or possibly the firewall. you can disable firewall for an hour to see what happens
Forget Device manager, FlexiSign handles the communication directly.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
atilla,
flexi may be able to do that on a plotter with usb input, but it can only control what goes into the usb-serial converter. it can not control what comes out the other side

pnc960 has a dumb device serial port. settings have to match there is no plug and play here. i have been configuring serial devices since the 1980's

netsol

Premium Subscriber
:( that's not nice! She wants to live!!!

don't worry sophie
she will live

look at page 3 of the manual. i assume no one ever changed the settings
go tomdevice manager>expand ports>
highest number will probably be the one for the usb converter>right click>properties>advanced

if you still have a problem, post and i will respond. if we need we can do team viewer...

sophie Reynolds

Wrong cabling or setup could cause data overflow.
But she is communicating with flexi.
She cuts and then stops after a short while.
I thought I would do one letter at a time as I can't afford a new one. But that's just tedious and heart breaking.
There needs to be another solution.

sophie Reynolds

It's a new connection. I used to have a cheap chinese serial to usb adapter and that worked fine.
Then microsoft did an update and it stopped reading it and I couldn't work it out I was advised to buy a Tripp-Lite and null modem cable.
I did that and the cutter started communicating with flexi again. Only now it stops half way.
It's set to com5
I don't know what you mean by allowing windows to turn off this port to save power. This is the first I am hearing of it.