• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pnc-960 stops cutting midway

sophie Reynolds

don't worry sophie
she will live

look at page 3 of the manual. i assume no one ever changed the settings
go tomdevice manager>expand ports>
highest number will probably be the one for the usb converter>right click>properties>advanced

if you still have a problem, post and i will respond. if we need we can do team viewer...
I have installed team viewer on my laptop and would definitely welcome you taking a look - I would be most grateful.

netsol

i am 99% sure that all we have to do is match the 5 settings on the com5 port to the settings in the pnc960 page 3 of the manual

i am at a client & do not have time now,,

i will look later and post my recommendation

i think it is just flow control mismatch, that's why it starts cutting, empties the buffer and doesn't have a chance to request more data

sophie Reynolds

i am 99% sure that all we have to do is match the 5 settings on the com5 port to the settings in the pnc960 page 3 of the manual

i am at a client & do not have time now,,

i will look later and post my recommendation

i think it is just flow control mismatch, that's why it starts cutting, empties the buffer and doesn't have a chance to request more data

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I've had differing opinions as to what's wrong with her and still haven't managed to get it going.

Attila Nagy

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I've had differing opinions as to what's wrong with her and still haven't managed to get it going.
upload_2020-11-18_18-58-51.png

If all the jumpers are off position on your cutter, this is how your settings should be.. You told us earlier the only change is the USB adapter. They not all can be trusted. Sometimes the cheap ones are better.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-18_18-57-33.png
    upload_2020-11-18_18-57-33.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 135

sophie Reynolds

I wanted to add that I have set the DIP switches to match the
View attachment 150312
If all the jumpers are off position on your cutter, this is how your settings should be.. You told us earlier the only change is the USB adapter. They not all can be trusted. Sometimes the cheap ones are better.
I've actually three different cables. None worked in the end I had to have one made (via ebay) for the roland cutter.
View attachment 150312
please see my port settings in the attached images

Attachments

• IMG_3989.JPG
    IMG_3989.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3988.JPG
    IMG_3988.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3987.JPG
    IMG_3987.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 135

sophie Reynolds

I've actually three different cables. None worked in the end I had to have one made (via ebay) for the roland cutter.

I had someone look at it and they said the memory on my cutter had gone. But she was fine up until windows updated and I couldn't use the cable.
I always believed it was a cable issue. He said it wasn't that as the laptop was communicating with the cutter.

JimmyG

Can you post what the windows update number was and have you tried to uninstall it or do system restore to a date before the windows update?

Attila Nagy

Can you see !, You have no flow control enabled. It tells the computer if the cutter is busy or ready to receive more data. without that the computer keep sends data, but the cutter cannot store it and it overflows.

Last edited:

sophie Reynolds

Can you post what the windows update number was and have you tried to uninstall it or do system restore to a date before the windows update?
I'm not sure how to do that.
The chap who did the restore to the update said that it didn't work either. I think that was why he concluded it had to be the cutter.

Attila Nagy

I'm not sure how to do that.
The chap who did the restore to the update said that it didn't work either. I think that was why he concluded it had to be the cutter.
Your cutter is Fine. just marked the buttons you need to enable and make sure all dip switches are off position on your cutter.

sophie Reynolds

Your cutter is Fine. just marked the buttons you need to enable and make sure all dip switches are off position on your cutter.
I tried that and it didn't do very much. i tried to send a 6 seconds video to show you what happens but I can't.
When it was 'None', it did attempt to cut the vinyl

sophie Reynolds

I tried that and it didn't do very much. i tried to send a 6 seconds video to show you what happens but I can't.
When it was 'None', it did attempt to cut the vinyl
I hope you don't mind, but its late and I have to go home. Thank you for your help. I really thought I had to give up but I feel a little better with you all supporting me to get it going again.

netsol

atilla,
fantstic job, thank you, i just got home, (not a great day)
i suspect the only issue is you need to reboot after serial changes
italso is not a bad practice to power cycle the plotter, THEN reboot the pc, so we handshake with the new settings

Sophie, i will be more available tomorrow

Attila Nagy

attila, do you think i should send her another usb serial adapter?
If the dip switches all off it should work now. Could fail if it is not a full handsake null modem cable, or broken seldering for the serial socket (I had that before when someone kicked the cable.).
An other thing: USB-Serial adapters cannot work well with long cables
Last thing to Try is:
Turn DIP SW6 to On posipion and Select Handshaking to Xon/Xoff
If stiil does not work, my surgery is OPEN for new patients. I love old staff.

netsol

attila
it appears you and sophie did everything right

(1) did we load the correct driver when sophie changed the adapter?
(2) is this a variation of the fifo issue we used to have in

netsol

it looks like i can add amazon locker in london to my amazon address book
(they must hate me, when i do this)
i have never been to london, can one of you give me an address or neighborhood to use as i search for a locker?this way it will be very local to you