• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Political signs...can you make them?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm getting a TON of requests for miscellaeous Trump/Biden signs - some tasteful, some not LOL. Is it legal to make these signs? Example: Vote Trump to preserve your 2nd amendment rights, stuff like that. I want to be sure because I found out 2 weeks ago, if you make one, you will be making 300 of them.

Case in Point: I made a recall sign for someone and she asked me for 10 more...I told her I would make them but I'm not advertising that I'm selling them. She posted it on her FB page and she sold 300 of them in 2 weeks. Of course now these same people are asking her for a multitude of Trump/Biden signs.

Please advise, thank you!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, we've made lotsa different political signs. Don't recall getting special permission for anything for any party. As long as they aren't negative, it should be alright.

netsol

I'm getting a TON of requests for miscellaeous Trump/Biden signs - some tasteful, some not LOL. Is it legal to make these signs? Example: Vote Trump to preserve your 2nd amendment rights, stuff like that. I want to be sure because I found out 2 weeks ago, if you make one, you will be making 300 of them.

Case in Point: I made a recall sign for someone and she asked me for 10 more...I told her I would make them but I'm not advertising that I'm selling them. She posted it on her FB page and she sold 300 of them in 2 weeks. Of course now these same people are asking her for a multitude of Trump/Biden signs.

Please advise, thank you!

i am kind of surprised, i have yet to see a sign for trump or biden

then again, new jersey is certainly not IN PLAY, we are very much taken for granted

Stacey K

I like making signs
i am kind of surprised, i have yet to see a sign for trump or biden

then again, new jersey is certainly not IN PLAY, we are very much taken for granted
Wow! I’m shocked. There are soooo many Trump signs in my area. Just saw my first Biden sign a week ago. I’m told more Biden signs in the cities and definitely more Trump in the country side.

ikarasu

You can make as many Biden signs as you want. Trump's name is copyrighted though, so if somebody wants you to make a trump sign, you have to tell them no. ;)

Jk of course. I recall when Arnold Schwarzenegger was made governor peopleStarted to make Arnold action figures cashing in on his Terminator status. They tried to Sue and prevent people from making them But they were ruled that political do not have the same protections So the action figures were perfectly fine.

Of course, none of us are lawyers, so we can't say for sure. But you should be fine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You don't see many trump/pence signs displayed around here because of the consequences you pay having them out. You'll be targeted. Don't worry, the people will show up come November.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
They're all over the place here. I don't get the signs, seems like a big waste and trashes up the roadsides. In a presidential election, nobody is being influenced from a sign. I still think people should be more politcally reserved in public, especially businesses and especially now. The way things are currently, I see these signs as a screw you symbol more so than being of actual support.

Val47

Prediction: Rual = Trump. Metro = Biden (don't care for either) But, yah, that is where I think you will find the divide. We have done some signs for Jo Jorganson though a whole sale client. There is a third choice - I like that :)

Cheers for another choice? :)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Prediction: Rual = Trump. Metro = Biden (don't care for either) But, yah, that is where I think you will find the divide. We have done some signs for Jo Jorganson though a whole sale client. There is a third choice - I like that :)

Cheers for another choice? :)
Or get rid of political labels altogether, single primary, top 5 move forward, #1 becomes pres #2 VP. Be adults and work together.

Val47

Or get rid of political labels altogether, single primary, top 5 move forward, #1 becomes pres #2 VP. Be adults and work together.
that does seem fair. but it doesn't work like that. I've been told. Not a polly sci major, not into politics in general. I consider myself a-political. I hate politics. Office/workplace politics - not for me. Glad my current job is my boss and me. no coworkers to muck up my job. been there, done that. I left. Happy to be here!
I'm not an unreasonable person - just don't like dealing with bullshit I didn't ask for.

Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

You can make anything you want ...but it does not mean that it is legal or without consequence. Check your local and state regulations regarding election campaign signage regulations. The rules differ from from state to state. For example: some states allow candidates in a Primary Election to use whom ever they choose to make their signs. However, once the candidate is nominated to the General Election, they must use a qualified "Union" supplier and the signs must display the "Union Bug". Again... Check your local and state regulations!!!
If the customer is a private individual and not connected to a campaign nor the candidate, they and you can do what you please, but... Remember that part about Legal / Consequences? It still applies.

Last edited:

Val47

to the op (Stacy whom I truly like) - my boss, the owner has made his own personal yard signs - I don't think there is any thing legally wrong with that. I wouldn't put them in my yard, but it's his business, and his yard - he has every right to create any sign he wants - political or not, and post it in his yard. His Conservative signage will be stolen from his yard, as his part of the hood is quite liberal. What eves.. it is what it is, he knows better by now, but it won't stop him from his stance. 3 cheers for freedom - no matter what your beliefs!

John Miller

Over the years I've made signs for both major parties and a few independents. Whether I agree with my client's political views or not, I make signs, that's what I do. I would refuse to make signs that incite violence toward anyone or any group no matter their political leaning.

SteveQuincey

31707e2c-b513-4b75-8867-7e96d40d3e6d-jpeg.148913

I’m fairly certain his brand standards spec out that all signage must be......

Attachments

• 31707E2C-B513-4B75-8867-7E96D40D3E6D.jpeg
    31707E2C-B513-4B75-8867-7E96D40D3E6D.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 502

netsol

You don't see many trump/pence signs displayed around here because of the consequences you pay having them out. You'll be targeted. Don't worry, the people will show up come November.

it seems odd, though

most years you will literally see 100 signs, spaced 50' apart for a school board election

netsol

it also seems funny how you could be undecided.

there is no fuzzy middle ground, and, unless you just came out of a coma, everyone knows which side they are on

Andy D

Honestly, I doubt you have anything to worry about, unless there is hate speech or similar.. But I don't know, could be different in other states, I would make them and not give it a second thought...
You're probably more likely to get in trouble if you refuse to make them...
If you're worried about it, DM & I will give you a source for a third party printer who will ship directly to your customer for less than you can make them yourself.