Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PopUp from Fellers or other No Curl??

Discussion in 'Materials' started by grafixemporium, Jan 15, 2010.

1. grafixemporium

grafixemporium Very Active Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I need to order some NO CURL material for 2 rectractable displays. I searched on here, but it seems there is a pretty wide variety of products you guys like to use. PopUp from Fellers seems reasonable. Anyone have any feedback on it? Does it have a smooth finish or textured finish like regular banner material? Does it print well?

It's a pretty "big deal" client, so I don't want to dissapoint. Any other suggestions? I need to order it today.

Thanks!

Andrew

Tags:
  2. Stan B

Stan B Guest

popup - very smooth no texture material. We had to slow down our solvent printers to dead slow to make it abosrb all the ink. Ink still flows. We also had random issues of material breaking apart into layers then printed in dark colors. We still use it as we did not find anything more reasonable and readily available like Fellers made it.

3. BlueMoonATL

BlueMoonATL Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Nashville
    We've used POS PRO+ 200 Universal Blockout Pop Up Banner with great success in our Mimaki. We get it from Pitman.

4. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

I've not tried PopUp from Fellers but I've heard mixed reviews on it. We use PosPRO 200+ and while it's expensive, especially compared to some others out there, it really prints beautifully.

5. BRUSHMARKS

BRUSHMARKS Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Frazee, MN
    We have used POP-UP from Fellers worked great for retractable stands.
    I recommend it.

6. bendeane

bendeane Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I have used pop-up for retractables. As images are concerned, it is my favorite thing to print on. I've even done small photos (8x10, 11x17, etc.) on my scraps. I think with any material in retractables, it should be laminated, but I'm not sure exactly what to laminate it with for best results. I just laminated a small piece this morning by hand with some freebie oracal we had laying around, but I've read about using a polycarbonate lamination from Lexan; at least that is what the Feller's catalog recommends.

I've not had to do anything special to our Mutoh VJ1614 when I use it.

We market it as our premium indoor banner material, too.

7. Intelicoat Pos Pro is great stuff and can also be used on both Solvent and Aqueous Printers with great results. The only negative is that its pricey.

Sihl's DuraSol is also nice (available in light, medium & heavy) and prints very well. Its a PVC, so its going to be less expensive. If anyone is interested in a sample please PM or EMAIL me and I can make this happen.

Kernow Coatings have a very nice Polyester Media (more stable, less curl) - but it gets real close to the POS Pro price.

Also, try subbing a textured floor Laminate in place of expensive Polycarb. Same look and durability at a lower cost (.40 sq ft) and have a media that can be used for something other than just pop ups.

PS. Fellers is just private labeling someone elses product and calling it PopUp. They do not make anything themselves.

8. grafixemporium

Feb 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    We went with the PopUp from Fellers for now. I've done some test prints and it looks great so far. It didn't cross my mind to laminate until bendeane mentioned it. Anyone else laminated PopUp? What did you use. I'm gonna try Oracal 210 Matte first and see how it looks.

9. LarryB

LarryB Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Webster, Texas
    Pop Up is good from fellers. We print on a Roland Soljet and do not use the take up reel because ink needs to dry unrolled. We do not laminate it as well. Been using it for over a year with good results.

10. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    POS Pro is nice, but when you combine the initial cost with the fact that it really "needs" lamination to be durable it's just too damn expensive.

I haven't tried it yet, but LG has an anti-curl product called XIGN that seems much more cost effective and is a solvent only product so it doesn't have the clay coating that can scratch off so easily like the POS Pro does.

I still use the POS Pro for Pop-Ups. 200 for the sides that wrap and 300 for the middle sections. Combined with a 15 mil polycarbonate laminate, it's too stiff to roll up tighter than 8-10" in diameter so roll ups are out of the question with that combo.

11. grafixemporium

Feb 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I just wanted to say that the PopUp product from Fellers prints like a dream. Ran it in high quality mode and there's not a hint of banding or anything. I laminated it with Oracal 210 matte. We'll see how well it holds up in the retractable. I'm totally happy with it so far.

Here's the first in a series of prints we are doing. It's hard to get a good pic with the flash on... but you'll get the idea:

Attached Files:

12. jasonx

jasonx Very Active Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Australia
    I've found lamination tends to introduce edge curl do to the tension and the substrate and laminate shrinking at different rates. We use polypolene from sihl unlaminated and found it to be best.

13. BANNERS2GO

BANNERS2GO Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Tampa
    Dont use the popup on a uv printer. It prints amazing but the end product will curl from the heat of the lamps. We use our Roland SC 540 and prints nice.

14. saktrnch

saktrnch Member

Mar 20, 2009
    We use pop up and like it. We laminate with 210 or dry wipe depending on the final use of the print.

15. toddot

toddot Member

Sep 11, 2007
    No CUrl on Falcon

We use LG Vizuon Xign ...Prints like a dream Harbor sales has it in stock.

16. PromoGuyTy

PromoGuyTy Member

Mar 4, 2007
    HENDERSON
    have done POP UP on my mutoh falcon...then spray with CLEARJET liquid lam.

i was happy with result

17. grafixemporium

Feb 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Pop Up with Oracal 210 Matte lam is dirt cheap to produce and looks like a million bucks.

18. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    man, you shoulda `shopped that girl's grill a little

19. mosignman

mosignman Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Missouri
    Hey GFX what kind of banner stand did you use? Is that one from Fellers?

20. grafixemporium

Feb 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    You're so right jiarby... she had some funky teeth.

mosign, it's the supreme retractable from creative banner. it's a bit pricey, but the best retractable i've ever used.