Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Possible Failed Matte Vinyl or Can it be Cleaned????

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by amylynncomitz, Aug 18, 2020.

1. amylynncomitz

amylynncomitz Smart Designs

Jan 8, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    My neighbor got a BRAND new vehicle about 2 years ago and the wrap portion of the car which is a matte black seems to be failing. I am not sure if this can be cleaned with anything. It looks modeled or molded. Any ideas would be great before we re-wrap the hood and back panel.

Attached Files:

2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Was the vehicle two toned from the dealer or installed somewhere else? I'd advise this is a failure of either a wrap shop or painter.
    Did you wrap it, or are you trying to help? If you did it, what vinyl did you use?

3. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

2 year old car should still be under warranty. He should get it redone free.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. amylynncomitz

Jan 8, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Exactly what I said and couldn't agree more!! But they just moved here from another state. It almost looks like it could be cleaned. Thanks for your suggestion!!

5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Warranty is nationwide, makes no difference. Doesn't have to go back to selling dealer.

If it's dirt, clean it. Try vinegar water if you think it's hard water staining.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    Had this happen a few years ago with an Oracal Carbon Fiber Wrap vinyl. Did an EGA on a client's hood and he brought it back less than six months later. We stripped and redid it with a printed Carbon Fiber look and he loved it. It's been on the vehicle for a few years now with no issues.

So I'd say it could be the brand of vinyl that was used and not so much the installation of the graphics. Some just work better in these full sun areas.

• Like Like x 1
  7. amylynncomitz

Jan 8, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I am just trying to help and is a 2 tone car (red with matte black). I didn't wrap it, they seen me working on another vehicle and asked.
    I have never seen anything like it and don't want to jump right into a problem. I think they need a good "wrap cleaner" before doing anything else.

8. amylynncomitz

Jan 8, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the advice!! I just wish he knew what vinyl was used.

9. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
    I think that may be from a tree. I had issues with a tree in front of my house, I would park the car near, but not under, a deciduous tree for a day or two. It was sunny weather with no rain or clouds at all, and I would have a slightly sticky film in a droplet pattern on the tree only side of the car much like in your photo. I got to it right away with rapid remove and it all came off, but soap would not work. This was all from my tree weeping from the leaves as a thin sappy like stuff, my driver side window squeaked for the next few years whenever you rolled it up!

Now it also looks like heat from the engine may have baked it right into the matte finish, so it may never some off if I am correct in my theory.

10. amylynncomitz

Jan 8, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I will definitely suggest a cleaner first before removing and re-wrapping. Seems like the matte black is a very hard wrap to maintain!!!! Thank you so much!!!

11. amylynncomitz

Jan 8, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    The car was purchased from a car dealer with this wrap on it. The hood is factory matte black and the roof and back are in a vinyl wrap. Wherever that vinyl was installed is where you see that modeling effect. Very strange!

12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    In that case, I'd tell them to take it to the dealership before doing anything. If the dealer won't help, then I'd start cleaning. May want to check and see if they've had it waxed, and you're just seeing the wax fail off of the vinyl?

• Like Like x 1
  13. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    About 12 years ago, had a local dealer bring in a car to have us put a new decal on it after the owner had body work done, with that matte black on the hood being what was replaced. I don't recall the specifics of the branding on the liner, but I could tell from the feel it was cheap vinyl- and it came from the car manufacturer. Maybe six months later, the dealer called us raising hell because the vinyl was shrinking.