• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Poster paper "no parking" signs

BSL Graphix

A nearby town has contacted me about making approx. 250 "NO PARKING DURING SNOW REMOVAL CONDITIONS" signs. As you can expect, they are looking for something as cheap as possible. They told me the last ones they had made were on like heavy paper and were laminated, they were able to reuse them for 2 seasons. The last ones were taped to telephone poles.

My question are:

(1) What type of paper do you recommend? I'm looking at maybe using Shil 3686, then laminating. Will it hold up outside for a couple of seasons if taken down over the off-season?

(2) What kind of pricing would get me in the ballpark on these? I don't want to offend them, but I'm thinking around $3/each for print/laminated?

Thanks!

BSL Graphix

I checked the Sihl website, and I think the 3686 is rated for outdoors. Size is 11"W by 15"T. thanks

I wouldn't even consider using paper....and I don't believe SIHL products are rated for outdoors.

What about .020 styrene or something like that? UV printed, they would last a couple of seasons for sure.

As for pricing..... can't comment on that since I don't know what the size is.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What they're looking for is not exactly paper, but a construction grade paper, which I don't think you can find anymore. The next best thing would be railroad stock with screen printed copy. They'll end up at a count of 250 pieces about 85¢ each. They'll last for a few years, but usually they're tossed out when finished using after the initial use. Most municipalities tie them around meters, poles and other fixtures near the areas of concern. Get them to go to 11" x 14". That's an even cut size with no waste.

Screen printing them would take maybe 1 to 1-1/2 hours in time. A little bit of ink and card stock.

Using printers and laminating.... you're over thinking it.

We just did 1,500 for the local water authority and another 2,500 for the local parking authority. Those went for even less, due to quantity.

TheSnowman

I'd try to convince them to use Cor-X on this, (I was able to for our town) but if they insist on something posterboard like, I use Sihl 3686 Tri-Solve. For short term outdoors, it works. I think they call it a 3-6 month outdoor material. Doesn't mean you'll get that if it's crazy snowing, but it's my go to for anything posterboard-ish. I love the stuff.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Polystyrene is a lightweight plastic product used primarily for indoor or temporary outdoor signage. This durable material is ideal for the customer seeking cost effective signage. Polystyrene is very similar to PVC and corrugated plastic. Polystyrene's flexibility makes it ideal for curved surfaces. The most commonly used thicknesses for polystyrene is generally .020, .030 and .060 gauges (approximately 1/64", 1/32", and 1/16"). Thinner gauges are translucent and therefore are not recommended for double-sided signage.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unless you are using foam polystyrene, it's not for any outdoor use. It also doesn't hold UV inks that well outside and it yellows quickly regardless of being outdoors or indoors.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Think again before using the wrong materials, just because they're cheap. Non-biodegradable does not equate to outdoor usage. [/FONT]:wink:

BSL Graphix

thanks guys! I'm up in the air on this one, not sure if it's a job I can do and be competitive on pricing. I don't have the capability to screen-print. Only equipment I have is a mutoh 1204 and laminator.

Marlene

the signs used to post land are a cardboard (2) without a laminate and seem to work OK. maybe check into what that material is

BSL Graphix

Here is what they gave me as to what they had in the past.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 155

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here is what they gave me as to what they had in the past.

They don't appear to be taped to a pole as you first mentioned, but tacked up, which indicates going into something soft like wood. The glossiness on that could easily be an overlaminate, but with railroad stock, there's no need to do that and still have it last a good year or two, if not longer.

I wouldn't pass on the project. Get a price from a local screen printer, add your markup and compare it to your printed-laminated price and give the town a choice. Ya can't go wrong offering both methods.

BSL Graphix

yes they are laminated, and I see that one is tacked up, the customer told me they tape most of them up to telephone poles. thanks for the info!
They don't appear to be taped to a pole as you first mentioned, but tacked up, which indicates going into something soft like wood. The glossiness on that could easily be an overlaminate, but with railroad stock, there's no need to do that and still have it last a good year or two, if not longer.

I wouldn't pass on the project. Get a price from a local screen printer, add your markup and compare it to your printed-laminated price and give the town a choice. Ya can't go wrong offering both methods.

Charlie J

I would upsell to a better material, they'll get more longevity and ultimately be happier with the purchase.

Drip Dry

Talk to these people

http://www.vosssigns.com/

I used to buy posted/ no hunting signs from them.
They print on to a flexible plastic. Something like styrene

12 x 12's and 12 x 18s are around a dollar apiece.

Sell them for 2.50 or 3.00 each. Make a profit and don't do anything

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We have some poly coated paper in stock that might work. It should last a couple of seasons. We can screen print on it and send you the completed Job. Email or call for a quote if you like.

We have done thousands of temporary no parking Signs.