• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Poster Printing Paper Recomendation

I have a customer who needs 150 posters printed, size 2x4 feet. Any recomendations of what material to use? Does fellers carry any of it? They want it kind of thick if possible. If not any options would be awesome!

Letterbox Mike

+1, Sihl 3686, prints very nicely. Fellers doesn't sell it, Grimco does though. FYI the Magic Postermax that Fellers sucks. I haven't tried their Solvex 9 mil photo paper but part of me suspects it's made for them by Sihl and is identical to the 3686. One of these days I'll try it.

thewood

FYI the Magic Postermax that Fellers sucks.

insignia, what don't you like about the Postermax specifically? Sihl Trisolv was the first paper I tried years ago, and I never could get satisfactory results from it. It looked great coming on the printer, but half an hour later it seemed as though the inks "soaked into" the media leaving a washed out print. I recently started running the Postermax with much better results. Although, I have to print it at a high resolution which is really slow. I'd be interested to hear your opinions/results on both materials.

Letterbox Mike

insignia, what don't you like about the Postermax specifically? Sihl Trisolv was the first paper I tried years ago, and I never could get satisfactory results from it. It looked great coming on the printer, but half an hour later it seemed as though the inks "soaked into" the media leaving a washed out print. I recently started running the Postermax with much better results. Although, I have to print it at a high resolution which is really slow. I'd be interested to hear your opinions/results on both materials.

I think our results are exactly opposite yours. For us the Postermax looks really washed out no matter what we've tried. I didn't have a profile built for it but we did use a stock profile from Magic and it wasn't any better. Just very flat, dull, "soaked in" looking. On the other hand, the Sihl prints really pop, they don't look dull or washed out. For the sihl, we actually use a 720x720 Oracal 3651 profile, 8 pass bidirectional, not super fast but not painfully slow and it prints well. Mimaki JV33 and JV3 by the way.

thewood

I think our results are exactly opposite yours. For us the Postermax looks really washed out no matter what we've tried. I didn't have a profile built for it but we did use a stock profile from Magic and it wasn't any better. Just very flat, dull, "soaked in" looking. On the other hand, the Sihl prints really pop, they don't look dull or washed out. For the sihl, we actually use a 720x720 Oracal 3651 profile, 8 pass bidirectional, not super fast but not painfully slow and it prints well. Mimaki JV33 and JV3 by the way.

Wow, that's strange. I was printing both the Trisolv and Postermax at 720x720, 16 pass bidi on a Mimaki JV3 and still couldn't get good results with the Trisolv. The Postermax isn't perfect by any means. At what temp(s) are you printing?

Letterbox Mike

We're running a totally unmodified Orajet 3651 720x720 8-pass profile, I think the heat on the JV3 is 45/40 in the profile. Try it if you have some sitting around, it's worth a shot. We also use the 3651 profile on our JV33.

Heck, we've actually run a lot of posters with that profile in 4-pass bidir on both printers. It gets a little bandy if there are a lot of solid colors, but for posters that are mostly photographic images, it actually printed fine with no noticeable banding at all.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I use the InteliCoat Indoor/Outdoor poster paper for solvent printers from Fellers. It prints every bit as well as any other media of any sort that I've ever used. I tried some product or another from Sihl that was recommended by some vendor or another and the best I could achieve with it was an anemic washed-out print.

Whatever you settle on, DO NOT use photo paper for this application. With the sizes you're citing, photo paper is a miserable mess to wrangle without cracking the the surface coating.

Sticky Signs

I've had pretty good luck with PosterMax but I've recently been using Rite Media photo matt paper. It prints like a dream. In fact, I've printed about 115 Sqft of it today.

Rooster

The intellicoat GFIOP212 is excellent for poster work. It's got a nice heavyweight feel and lays flat after printing.