Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premask Application Tape Technique?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bkyi44, Feb 19, 2010.

1. bkyi44

bkyi44 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Hellow everyone~:signs101:
    Is there a good technique to apply the premask application tape without getting any wrinkles? 12" is ok for me but 18" or 24" - lots of wrinkles. I use freehand & squeegee to apply application tape. I didn't invest my $$$ on one of those premask applicator machine. (quite expensive)

Any suggestions? I thank you in advance ~!!! :notworthy:

Tags:
  2. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    get a big squeegee!!!! effortless and can be used to apply the graphics as well

3. StopSignGraphics

StopSignGraphics Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Big Squeegee! Do a search in the forums and you'll find a ton of info about it.

~Chris

4. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber

Attached Files:

5. StopSignGraphics

StopSignGraphics Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    One other thing I forgot to mention...sometimes I find it easier to cut a piece of application tape lay it sticky side up on my table. Basically applying the graphic to the application tape. I don't know why it's easier but it works for me.

6. CentralSigns

CentralSigns Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    Build a rack. All ya need is a pole for the premask to hang on on the end of your table. Then pull your premask out over your graphic and stick it to the table. Then slowly float your hands applying gentle even pressure as you work towards your premask roll. With some practice your work will be wrinkle free. One at the end you can cut off the mask from the roll and squeege the premask to the vinyl. With a little pressure the final product should be bubble free, so I find a small squeege is better for applying more pressure. Save ya $3k for a laminater.

7. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    We use the "one man hobo taping machine" exclusivly avaiable from the Mosh!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
  8. bkyi44

bkyi44 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Thank you~ gabagoo, StopSignGraphics & CentralSigns.

9. bkyi44

bkyi44 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    That's pretty cool~ I never thought about using a second empty roll. Thank you for the :cool1: illustration~

10. Rollie

Rollie Very Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ontario Canada

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
  11. bkyi44

bkyi44 New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Thank you Mosh~ It looks very sturdy~ Nicely done~ I'll take form follows function anyday~ I should build one of these with 2x4. Maybe I should incorporate Jester1167's design.:thumb:

12. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I have one on the other end that has a 30" and an 18" side by side. $29.95 plus shipping.:)
    The key is the straps holding it to the end of the table if you make one. That way you can move it quikly without un-doing screws or clamps.

13. CentralSigns

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    I got two layers on mine and use quick clamps to hold it there. Try using 2" by 6" on the ends this makes it more stable.

14. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    You were fine up until the hands part.

Do not, never, as in ever, use your hands to put mask down on vinyl. There's no surer way to leave catastrophic bubbles and the subsequent wrinkles than trying to smooth down mask with your hands.

As noted above pull the mask over the vinyl and stick it to the table. Then put the mask onto the vinyl just like you put the vinyl onto a substrate. With a squeegee. Preferably a 12" wallpaper trowel. You use the squeegee to put the mask onto the vinyl just like you use a squeegee to put the vinyl on substrate using an angled up/down action starting the squeegee such that each stroke starts completely on the previously stroke and ends straddling the previous stroke.

The Big Squeegee will work but I can apply mask with a table mounted axle, I have a Weber but any sort will do, faster than I can set up the roll of mask for the Big Squeegee. The Big Squeegee is a good tool but there are far better ways of putting down mask. The only time I'd use the big squeegee for mask is if and when I have a roll of mask that, for whatever reason, wants to start to tear from the edges as it's pulled off the roll. The BS doesn't always cure this but it's far better than without it in this one special case.

15. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have one of these too!! fast and easy. I use the BS for larger or smaller sized pre mask when I need to

16. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Bob, I think the bubbles will occur if you try using your hands after the premask is cut off the main roll. When I use my hands there is a little tension which allows the mask to hover over the graphics until I gently rub them down. I then go over with a squeegee and we get abspoulutely no bubbles.

17. CentralSigns

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    Hey Bob, I think gabagoo explained the squeege a little better than me. You are only hovering over the mask with fingers. As long as the roll is attached the tension holds it. Its almost like when you use aplication fluids, the premask being the vinyl, and thevinly being the surface its applied to. The premask floats over the vinyl in the same sort of way, once touched up with sqeege it's stuck. Sorry for the poor wording earlier.

Someone just starting with this method is likely to get a few bubbles till they get it right. These can be poped in the mask with little ill affect to the end resulting vinyl install.

18. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Check out the extremely fast Sheeter.
    http://www.weedersheeter.com/
    Just line up the front edge and crank the handle. You can apply mask on a 8-10ft. pc. in about 5 second wrinkle and bubble free.

19. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I have seen the weeder, if everything is cut perfectly it looks great. I know in our shop we use so many different materials so sometimes cutting weight is not perfect. I would be scared to use it. The SHEETER looks good. I hate the name, reminds me of what we call our outhouse.

20. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    +1

This is how I do it, hardly ever get a bubble. I can appreciate that everyone has a different method that is the most comfortable though.