• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Premask Application Tape Technique?

S

scarface

Honest, lately i have been using the big squeegee for anything medium-large size. Works wonders :)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob, I think the bubbles will occur if you try using your hands after the premask is cut off the main roll. When I use my hands there is a little tension which allows the mask to hover over the graphics until I gently rub them down. I then go over with a squeegee and we get abspoulutely no bubbles.

I understand you completely, but unless you're some sort of mutant your hand is anything but straight and flat. That being the point.

Assuming you mask starting on the right and working the mask down to the left. The object is to push the mask into contact with the vinyl such that all air between the mask and the vinyl is pushed to the left. You simply cannot do this reliably with your hands, you need straight flat edge to insure complete contact. While you might have some bizarre massage technique that gets you by using your hands it's far easier, approaching effortless, with a 12" or so squeegee.

gabagoo

I understand you completely, but unless you're some sort of mutant your hand is anything but straight and flat. That being the point.

Assuming you mask starting on the right and working the mask down to the left. The object is to push the mask into contact with the vinyl such that all air between the mask and the vinyl is pushed to the left. You simply cannot do this reliably with your hands, you need straight flat edge to insure complete contact. While you might have some bizarre massage technique that gets you by using your hands it's far easier, approaching effortless, with a 12" or so squeegee.

I cant say it is bizarre, in fact I spend no time thinking about it and it works. I have been doing it this way for so many years I guess it just comes naturally.

I have actually found that I can run into wrinkling problems more with a regular squeegee, although I have never considered trying a 12" version.

appligraphics

Premask application tape

I am a vinyl graphic installer, only. Do not produce vinyl. My biggest pet peeve on the subject of premask is in using the end of a roll and starting a new roll on one large piece of vinyl. it ends wrinkled and starts wrinkled, and this usually affects the vinyl and the lam, creasing the vinyl and shiny areas in the creases where the lam is sticking and not sticking to premask.

HaroldDesign

One other thing I forgot to mention...sometimes I find it easier to cut a piece of application tape lay it sticky side up on my table. Basically applying the graphic to the application tape. I don't know why it's easier but it works for me.
+1 Works great - absolutely no wrinkes