• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing 12 Semi Trailer Wraps

GK

Merritt Graphics has a great point BUT when you do trailer the files should be no higher than 75dpi using a JPG file. the printer will print faster. Don't ever say you can't do it because if you are like me and have friends in the industry you can work with them to help print the jobs. if you don't go after it then it's money you didn't make! depending on the time the customer wants them on and the structure of the trailers try using a lesser grade of material to cut costs as well. These are referred as "fleet wraps" and if done the right way you can make alot of money!
good luck!

The printer won't print faster because the file is 75ppi, the printer would only print faster depending on the print mode the printer is on (360, 540, 720, 1440) and how many passes of each. The computer will RIP the file faster, but the speed is dependent on the print mode of the printer. Using a JPEG vs. a TIFF (if the files are raster over vector) is also questionable. JPEG format uses a lossy compression algorithm as opposed to the TIFF format which uses a lossless. Even though you can achieve high quality prints, the fact that it is saved as a JPEG did sacrifice some quality compared to using an uncompressed TIFF.

Mosh

Sub out the printing. Don't low-ball the price to just get the job, you will end up losing money that way.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
TRUCK ADS® !!! Outsource the Grand format Banners, Install the banner frame kits and you don't worry about the surface of the truck or grommets. Install in a fraction of the time. Well it seems like it'd be a good idea to go that way, if it were me.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
sorry but the going rate for this kind of volume is $4.75 printed and installed. your talking 12,000 s/f of print for this job..

even at that price there are many shops who will do that kind of volume even cheaper.

if you think it is to low this kind of work is not in your arena.... nor will you ever get these jobs...

you cannot do this kind of volume on a Mutoh, JV3 or any Roland and be competitive. it will take you all day just to print one unit... let alone your ink and material costs... that is even before install labor and logistics.

True, I would say $4.75-$5.50 a sft printed, laminated & installed is a good price for that kind of quantity on Flat, large trailers.
As far as printing on our own 54" printers, it's less than $2 a sft cost. You can print in your sleep (if ink is full) and my laminator goes FAST. I suppose it just depends on thier time frame and your hired hands. But outsourcing it just won't allow for a profit IF you can still get the job against a competitor who prints thier own.

57.5" panels is exactly 10 per side on 60" material.

On 2 XL1500 - 126" printers we would run 2 rolls up (4 rolls at a time)

To get very nice quality we would run six color @ 750 s/f an hour up to 950 s/f an hour depending on graphic. Thats 8 hours of print on 2 machines.

Finishing would be about the same time frame....

No sweat....

Why on earth would you even want to tie up your machine for weeks and weeks to take on such a job???

bbeens

I hope you mean that it will RIP faster. Printer speed is determined by the print mode that the operator has selected, not the source file size/resolution. Unless you're printing AS you rip.

I would doubt your rip times would reduce all that much either. The rip time is related to the output resolution much more than the file resolution. Either way, the original comment about the print being fast is very likely not correct. Print time will relate to number of passes, X and Y resolution of print. The rip time will be determined by print size, dot type (variable dot takes more data then fixed) and how many dot states, and X and Y resolution.

Bryan

johnnysigns

Merritt is exactly right w/ his assessment of the scope of work and pricing at hand here. If you're not familiar w/ fleet graphics, retail sign shop markups and production methods simply don't apply - at least to make money.

deegrafix

sorry but the going rate for this kind of volume is $4.75 printed and installed. your talking 12,000 s/f of print for this job..

even at that price there are many shops who will do that kind of volume even cheaper.

if you think it is to low this kind of work is not in your arena.... nor will you ever get these jobs...

I've wrapped several semis (only one or 2 at a time) and have charged $2. per sq ft for the install alone! I'm blown out of the water on this! If i went lower than $7., I might as well stay home and watch TV.

Any chance the client might care about quality? It you show him a nice quality print and the other guy is printing in draft mode.....???

Sure do hate to farm out printing with a mimaki in the house.

Oh how I miss the days of pricing wraps at $20.00 per sq. ft. I can still get $15.00, but on very high end vehicles.

ProWraps

merritt is on the money. we charge $4995 for them. thats 3M installed 53'. he is also right about the amount of printing. we just printed what you are quoting for the sprinter busses we did. it took FOREVER. that was running two printers.

then there was the finishing, the kitting etc etc. we had almost two weeks of work into the project before we put squeege to vehicle.

Liquid GraphX

TRUCK ADS® !!! Outsource the Grand format Banners, Install the banner frame kits and you don't worry about the surface of the truck or grommets. Install in a fraction of the time. Well it seems like it'd be a good idea to go that way, if it were me.
I would have to agree. Those rivets will be the death of you! I have helped install those systems on Warnet Racing Ski Doo trucks. They are removable and you don't have to worry about the rivets and aluminum rott!

BargainSigns

I can't thank all of you enough! Really, really good suggestions and knowledge has been shared. We submitted the bid yesterday and are waiting for their response. We'll see. I'll let you know what they say either way.

Marianna