• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pricing a small reflective job... i don't know

slappy

Hi all... Need a few price ideas on what to charge on this small job..

3 different rolls of vinyl... not sure how much to charge.... but here is what i did.
I overlapped the city-name one for them, so it's now 1 piece rta.

Any help? I have a $25 minimum in my shop, since signs is not our primary business...

My gut is telling me about $50, but that seems like a lot as i look at how small it is on my desk completed.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, it's not worth a lot more than $50, but our shop minimum is $125.00, so we'd ask them what more do they wanna get, cause they'll basically get it for free.

See how fast they'll find a place to put 'In Memory of Someone'

gabagoo

$125.00
we have to make the assumption that you dont have the material in stock and then there is the waste factor using reflective.

slappy

gabagoo...i used all scrapes from previous jobs on the top part of that jpeg (the gold and 751)... and the black reflective, i might have 5"x24" into cutting that on a roll of vinly...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wrong assumption there Fido.

We have every reflective color in stock and all the colors in cast and calendared in stock. We have a sign as you walk in the door that we wash your vehicles at $125. an hour.
wash your vehicle.jpg

The message here is... we don't want 20 little jobs a day. They waste time, money and.... oh yeah, time.

If I don't get a minimum order in a week, I'm happy, but if I do, I get paid well for wasting my time and energy. I'd rather have my guys.... and girl working on the projects bringing in big bucks and not have to stop to do a $35.00 job that really takes 1/2 an hour to do.

I tend to do all the non-essential jobs and orders, so my guys don't get off track. My time doesn't matter, so I'm stuck with it. I just did a freebie for a very good friend for a Chrsitmas Sponsor sign. Took me less then 10 minutes to make the layout, two minutes to get approval on the proof and another 8 minutes to print it. It was done in less than 1/2 hour, but other than Jeremy cutting it out, all my time. Everyone else remained at their jobs making money for the company, while I got to play and look like a savior for Terry, my friend.
2012 in the air.jpg

J

john1

$75 minimum, Reflective is a pain and i don't stock it so i would be more than that but if you did have it that's where i would be at.

slappy

Gino.. i do not believe you have every reflective color in stock... like 3m Royal Purple... but if you have it, I'll show you mine if you show me yours. lol

just playing, i seen your front entrance and the wall of vinyl, and i can say, Gino has a market of vinyl in there.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't know if it's Royal Purple, but we gost purple. We even have brown reflective. A few rolls of black and orange and three or so yellows. We have two or three versions of red reflective, but white.... do we gost white..... hallefrickin'luiah... have we got white reflective. Green blues and some others. I'll take a picture of the purple in a minute.

gabagoo

gabagoo...i used all scrapes from previous jobs on the top part of that jpeg (the gold and 751)... and the black reflective, i might have 5"x24" into cutting that on a roll of vinly...

I know you do, and I do too but what if you didn't? You have to buy minimums and then there is delivery.
Is this a one time customer or do they bring you work like this all the time...is another consideration.

Having said that I have under priced many small jobs like this over the years and kick myself everytime for doing it.

Edna

Is reflective hard two work with. I have never tried it. I have a local fire dept that needs a brush fire truck done. Is there a beeter 3M or Oricle?

J

john1

Is reflective hard two work with. I have never tried it. I have a local fire dept that needs a brush fire truck done. Is there a beeter 3M or Oricle?

Are you really that bad of a speller? I mean seriously.

SignProPlus-Chip

Huh?! What's so difficult about reflective? Cut, weed and mask just like any other vinyl.

It's just an RTA job with no install, so easy peasy IMO.

Also, someone please enlighten me why you would charge a customer more if you don't have a color in stock when your supposed to be a full service sign shop with a standard color selection in stock?

If it's some off color, that is needed to match a customers preference, trade colors etc...well, I get that, especially if it's a color that you would likely never use on anything else, ever and totally job specific.

But for black, and gold reflective? Really? Pretty standard stuff really...I just don't see how you can pass the cost of an out of stock vinyl on to the customer just because YOU need to reorder standard materials.

As for the question at hand, we have a square foot minimum here (a dollar minimum would never fly around here, especially as high as some of you are talking). Your looking at about $60 in our shop for that plus tax.

It should be about a 15-20 minute job at best for anyone that is proficient with plotting/weeding/masking vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Huh?! What's so difficult about reflective? Cut, weed and mask just like any other vinyl.

It's just an RTA job with no install, so easy peasy IMO.

Also, someone please enlighten me why you would charge a customer more if you don't have a color in stock when your supposed to be a full service sign shop with a standard color selection in stock?

If it's some off color, that is needed to match a customers preference, trade colors etc...well, I get that, especially if it's a color that you would likely never use on anything else, ever and totally job specific.

But for black, and gold reflective? Really? Pretty standard stuff really...I just don't see how you can pass the cost of an out of stock vinyl on to the customer just because YOU need to reorder standard materials.

As for the question at hand, we have a square foot minimum here (a dollar minimum would never fly around here, especially as high as some of you are talking). Your looking at about $60 in our shop for that plus tax.

It should be about a 15-20 minute job at best for anyone that is proficient with plotting/weeding/masking viny
l.

Ding..... ding..... ding..... ding..... ding..... ding..... ding..... give this man a ring ding !!

J

john1

Ding..... ding..... ding..... ding..... ding..... ding..... ding..... give this man a ring ding !!

I'll be honest, If you can stock every color in the world then awesome. Not everyone has every type of vinyl and color in stock. Gold reflective may be a standard color but i know i have only done 1 vehicle that's needed reflective in the past few years. Nobody buys colors just to have in case someone might want it. Red, Black, Blue, White, Silver to name a few are standard colors for a sign shop IMO but not anything specialty.