• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing this job...unreasonable?

jchristians

I am pretty new at doing "larger" signage, so needing input.
I am quoting a sign for a potential client. My total quote was $308. Does this seem unreasonable? The business thinks I am overcharging.
What would you estimate a sign like this to be priced at? I just want to make sure I am in the ballpark. Appreciate any feedback!
Here are details:
Size is 60" long by 30" tall.
Full color printed vinyl.
substrate: alumalite
Designed and installed.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I am quoting a sign for a potential client. My total quote was $308. Does this seem unreasonable? The business thinks I am overcharging.
What would you estimate a sign like this to be priced at? I just want to make sure I am in the ballpark. Appreciate any feedback!
Here are details:
Designed and installed.

$25/sqft with Design, Substrate, Print and Install... That sounds pretty fair to me.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I think it's way too cheap for one. A 30" x 60" printed alumalite sign and should cost more than a 4' x 8'. You may or may not find a use for the scrap before it gets scratched up or damaged and it takes time to cut the sheet down. You also have a lot of waste on your printed graphic.

Design at hourly rate
Full sheet of alumalite cost x 1.5
Time for two cuts on the alumalite and file cut edges or use a CNC.
Print including waste
Install prints.

We used to sell one color cut vinyl for more than that 10 years ago.

brycesteiner

Here are details:
Designed and installed.

Which business is telling you that--the company you work for or the company asking for the quote? If it's the company you work for, tell them you are just figuring overhead and costs and adding 30%. If it's the company you are quoting, don't do the work. The customers that tell you this kind of stuff will end up being jerks and nitpicking everything even if it's a great job.

Your price seems about right if not a little low, but completely fair as long as you aren't starving.

TimToad

How is it being installed? 8' off the ground? 20' feet off the ground?

Which grade and thickness of Alumalite are you using?

When you say "designed" how many hours do you anticipate putting into it?

Does the customer know that you essentially need to use a whole sheet of material to yield their sign. You don't have to tell them that you'll be using the scrap for several 18" x 24"s or other small signs, but they need to know that full sheets start off 4'x8'.

Your price seems fair when you factor in all the elements you've included. For a business to get their main identification sign designed, fabricated and installed on a durable material for $308, that's pretty good.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless you have some extenuating circumstances, your price is more than fair. In fact, as mentioned by almost everyone, you're on the low side.

Many times, when a customer tries to dictate the cost and use an emotional comeback with a wide-eyed glare, they have not done their homework. Ever go shopping you haven't bought in a long time and you look at the article of clothing or tool and say..... whew-wee, I remember when it cost this much ?? Same thing, if you wanna give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

I just hope this thing is 1-sided. :wink:

Stick to your guns..........:thumb:

Tim4

..... whew-wee, ......................................

Stick to your guns..........:thumb:

I always wondered how to spell whew-wee. :)

Now, I know. And even as a part time, no talent, no overhead, non-expert, I would be at $300.00, you pick up.

jchristians

Thanks everyone! That is what I thought...very fair if not LOW.
Yeah, I say take it or leave it at that price. Not worth my time. Appreciate it!

Jean Shimp

How is it being installed? 8' off the ground? 20' feet off the ground?

Which grade and thickness of Alumalite are you using?

When you say "designed" how many hours do you anticipate putting into it?

Does the customer know that you essentially need to use a whole sheet of material to yield their sign. You don't have to tell them that you'll be using the scrap for several 18" x 24"s or other small signs, but they need to know that full sheets start off 4'x8'.

Your price seems fair when you factor in all the elements you've included. For a business to get their main identification sign designed, fabricated and installed on a durable material for $308, that's pretty good.

When he said "installed" was that to install the print on the Alumalite or to install the sign at the location?

jchristians

When he said "installed" was that to install the print on the Alumalite or to install the sign at the location?

$308 is TOTAL. Install vinyl print on alumalite AND install sign on location. :) ENTIRE JOB. Its amazing how a sign for their business is not worth $300. :corndog:

Baz

You are giving away the install at that price.

For me that would just cover the sign (priced close to a full 4'x8')

TopFliteGraphics

Your price is more than fair. If they think you are overcharging ask what they do and how much they charge. I bet they are "overcharging" too...I hate when people that have no idea how to do something think they know how much you should be charging.

Jackpine

I would charge for a 3x8 plus install, but include the alumalite full cost. The 12in x8' is scrap that can be used by you for other work. If it is a ground level install I would add that anyway.I always charge installs plus the sign. There is some three tier pricing information that might help you.

You are giving away the install at that price.

For me that would just cover the sign (priced close to a full 4'x8')