Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Print 2 print/cut jobs at once?

Discussion in 'Flexi' started by Rat_Fink, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Mishawaka, IN
    Hello - I am using Flexi 10.5
    This seems like it should be very easy, but I have not found a setting - let me explain.

I am printing on 54" material, but have to contour cut on a 30" cutter (my larger cutter is down at the moment).
    so I would like to print 2 different designs on the 54" material - then laminate - then I will cut the material in between the 2 prints so I can fit each into my 30" cutter.

This means that I would need to be able to print both files at once, but with separate registration marks.
    Is this possible?

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    If they are the same job just duplicated then you can just open the job in production manager, set the quantity to 2 and then when you set your crop marks make sure to select the "individual" option rather than "whole" this will put a set of marks around each copy. You will have to send the job again as a single cut only job to cut the individual pieces. I have never tried this with two different jobs but I assume it works the same way when you are nesting jobs.

3. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Mishawaka, IN
    Thanks for the reply. I did fail to mention that these would be individual design files. I have used the duplicate function with success when I just need to run multiples of the same file.

4. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

I doubt you'll be able to print two different jobs concurrently. You could set up one job to print on the left edge of the vinyl, and then after the ink dries roll it back and run the other job on the right edge.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Mishawaka, IN
    Yeah - I cant seem to find any settings that will allow me to do this. Seems like a simple feature that should be included in Flexi.
    I have been doing what you mentioned and at least gets the job done. Thanks!

6. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

The dual roll function in the rip and print dialog might make it work. I've never tried it but that might be a solution.

7. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Simply put both images in the same workspace. Print and cut them as a single job. I do it all the time.

8. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    If you look in the registration mark panel, in the contour tab of your rip, and print popup......You can uncheck one set for all copies, and it will put registration marks around each object.

upload_2019-1-9_14-54-30.png

9. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

He is wanting to print them as one job and cut them as separate jobs because his plotter os only 30" while his printer is 54"

10. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    Ok......Send to rip as 2 different jobs, then nest them in production manager.

UPDATE: Nevermind, I just went and tried nesting just the print jobs, and it still put one set of registration marks around both.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  11. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Going through all of this to save a wee bit of vinyl? Really?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    Scissors

13. Jb1983

Jb1983 Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Vancouver island
    Ive done this with rasterlink/finecut.

What I did was I created each set of files in its own artboard with there own set of registration marks.. ( illustrator)

Then I ceated a NEW artboard that was the size of my vinyl and laid each file with its registration marks on that and saved as a .PDF So that file had both files on it with there own separate marks.

Then I opened that file directly from rasterlink and skipped using my plug in. Using the plugin would only allow me to send jobs with 1 set of registration marks.

Ive done this lots to save material when regular nesting just didn't work for those particular jobs.

After I printed and laminated the files, I would then just trim them to sperate pieces with a ruler and knife and load them In to the cutter , open the first origin file you made and send it to cut it thru the plug in via its marks.

Not sure if flexi works the same but try opening the file directly from the Rip, print that file. Use the original files to send info to Cutter.

14. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    Print the first one on the left side of the page, run the media back into the printer, then print the second one on the right side.
    Problem solved!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Mishawaka, IN
    Yeah - I would rather not waste 24" x 50 yards of vinyl.

16. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    You can use the rotate option in the cutting window to print the job with the markers crosswise. So you can create a cutting job in Flexi what will be printed 30“ „long“ and up to 54“ „wide“ (better a little bit smaller to make shure that you have the space you need for the pinch rollers at the end), what could be cutted in the cutter as 30“ wide and 54“ long.

17. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Mishawaka, IN
    This is what I do for shorter lengths - (as suggested earlier) for jobs longer than 54", I have been letting the print dry, backing the material up and printing the second file above. Then I laminate and cut the material in between the jobs to fit in the cutter. Still think that this is a very simple feature that should be included in Flexi.

These methods will work till I get my larger cutter up and running.
    Thanks , everyone! (Most of) You have been very helpful.

18. Rodan68

Rodan68 Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Bay Area
    Buy some 30" material to use just for your 30" cutter seems the easiest way.

19. Rat_Fink

Rat_Fink Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Mishawaka, IN
    The material I use is 3M IJ35C. At the moment, they are having logistic problems and everyone seems to be out of stock. So I am forced to buy it in 54”.

20. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    what cutter are you using?
    I have a graphtec and nest multiple cut and prints to save material.
    But I only use Flexi to do the printing. Graphtec's illustrator/corel plug-ins to set the registration marks and do the plots.
    Gives a lot of flexibility to fix plot problems. Cut files can be changed after the prints are done.
    I've even run out of material before the reg marks at the end printed and was able reset the cut file to just use the 2 at the base that did print. Have not tried any of this with flexi so it may be possible there too.

wayne