Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Print and cut with cheap vinyl

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by StayStuck, Dec 2, 2012.

1. StayStuck

StayStuck New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Hi

I am busy running a job of repeat print and cut stickers on my JV33 and CG 130srii. I am using a cheap no name brand vinyl and having issues with reliable cutting.

If I print and cut using Orajet 3164 the cut line is almost perfect. On this cheap vinyl I cannot get a reliable cut. It seems to be at random points in the sheet of vinyl as it is not a repetitive cut issue. It is not a specific drift in the x or y direction.

I have noticed that the distance between the printed registration marks is a different width from the on screen marks. For example, registration marks that are 1200mm apart on screen are about 1206mm apart when printed on this vinyl, whereas on the 3164 it is about 1201mm.

Is it possible that the vinyl is expanding and causing the issue? I have turned the heat down on the printer but that doesn't help

I have tried all settings on my plotter to get a reliable cut but nothing seems to work. Has anyone had this problem before? Any other suggestions?

Tags:
  2. FrankW

FrankW Very Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Germany
    Heat on Vinyl can generate a lot of problems specially with cheap vinyl. I do not know Mimaki so much, but reducing temperature on the printer will with most softwares and printers not change anything if there are software settings for the heater.

As soon as heat or feed traction is applied to a media, the print can be deformed, and not every deformation can be compensated with each contour cutting system on the market. Early Rolands do just 3-Point-Alignment, most modern systems use 4-Point-Alignment, and systems like Summas OPOS can use up to 128 Markers and an XY-Line to compensate Bowing-Effects. Only that such kind of systems on the market shows that the problems of non-linear deviations are well-known.

3. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Wow. They came out with cheap vinyl? What's next?

4. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I haven't ever found anything cheaper than 3164
    Call NGlantz around $120 for a 54"x50 yard

5. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Perhaps it's time to change your business model and begin using quality materials. The extra grief and stress isn't worth what you're saving by using cheap vinyl.

JB

6. StayStuck

StayStuck New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yeah, supplier said it was good and that no one had any problems with it.

7. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Cheap= not going to be open long...I use Orajet 3551 on all my prnted stuff...been going since 1988. Seen Cheap crap shop come and go ..sorry.