• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and cut with cheap vinyl

StayStuck

Hi

I am busy running a job of repeat print and cut stickers on my JV33 and CG 130srii. I am using a cheap no name brand vinyl and having issues with reliable cutting.

If I print and cut using Orajet 3164 the cut line is almost perfect. On this cheap vinyl I cannot get a reliable cut. It seems to be at random points in the sheet of vinyl as it is not a repetitive cut issue. It is not a specific drift in the x or y direction.

I have noticed that the distance between the printed registration marks is a different width from the on screen marks. For example, registration marks that are 1200mm apart on screen are about 1206mm apart when printed on this vinyl, whereas on the 3164 it is about 1201mm.

Is it possible that the vinyl is expanding and causing the issue? I have turned the heat down on the printer but that doesn't help

I have tried all settings on my plotter to get a reliable cut but nothing seems to work. Has anyone had this problem before? Any other suggestions?

FrankW

Heat on Vinyl can generate a lot of problems specially with cheap vinyl. I do not know Mimaki so much, but reducing temperature on the printer will with most softwares and printers not change anything if there are software settings for the heater.

As soon as heat or feed traction is applied to a media, the print can be deformed, and not every deformation can be compensated with each contour cutting system on the market. Early Rolands do just 3-Point-Alignment, most modern systems use 4-Point-Alignment, and systems like Summas OPOS can use up to 128 Markers and an XY-Line to compensate Bowing-Effects. Only that such kind of systems on the market shows that the problems of non-linear deviations are well-known.

tsgstl

I haven't ever found anything cheaper than 3164
Call NGlantz around $120 for a 54"x50 yard

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Perhaps it's time to change your business model and begin using quality materials. The extra grief and stress isn't worth what you're saving by using cheap vinyl.

JB

Mosh

Cheap= not going to be open long...I use Orajet 3551 on all my prnted stuff...been going since 1988. Seen Cheap crap shop come and go ..sorry.