Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Print / Cut Help

Discussion in 'Roland' started by signcostl, Apr 22, 2010.

1. signcostl

signcostl New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I have a SP-540v and if I try to print / cut with a fade or drop shadow the cutcontour lines don't come up as cuts. It shows as a pink line. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Tags:
  2. Mainframe

Mainframe Very Active Member

Welcome from PA, I need more info to help you, I assume you have printed & cut successfully before, what are you designing in? What OS, windows or PC? can you post a pic of the file?

3. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    If the file has any transparencies the cutcontours will not work. In these cases you need to export to a jpeg, place the jpeg back in and overlay the cutcontour.

4. 702 graphics

702 graphics Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Las Vegas NV
    I always make 2 copies of my cut. Use one and mask the object with the drop shadow (if its a raster shadow) then place my cut line over the top. Good Luck!

It might be a good Idea to state the software you are using because its diff. in Corel, Illy, and Flexi.

5. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I had this problem when either the cut line wasn't on the very top of the layer order or there was a transparency on top of the cut line. I use Illustrator and save my files as .eps and make sure it's set to postscript 3.

6. TresL

TresL Very Active Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Flatten Transparency per the Roland manual settings.

7. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    this is how i get that situation to work
    just make sure you don't flatten the cut lines only the artwork then put the cutlines back over it
    also sometimes if you just save it as a pdf it will work

8. signcostl

signcostl New Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Sorry, its windows XP with Illustrator CS3 and versaworks. I will try the flatten approach. Thank you all very, very much. It was driving me nuts!!! :U Rock: :thankyou:

9. jbona75

jbona75 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    You could also save as an eps...in the options change the language level to 3 and the quality to high...most times this won't require any flattening.

10. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    yup, spot color (CutContour) used with transparency (gradient). In this case I open the art (w/o contour) in PS, flatten & save as JPEG, place back in ILL & save a flattened version to print from. Sucks to have to do, but works 100%. never really noticed a quality loss either.