• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Directly to Wood?

rdm01

Could you print directly to wood? Say OSB or unfinished sheathing? I have a client who wants the texture of wood behind their print, and seems like it might be straight forward for someone with a flatbed. Any takers on such a project?
Thanks!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Could you print directly to wood? Say OSB or unfinished sheathing? I have a client who wants the texture of wood behind their print, and seems like it might be straight forward for someone with a flatbed. Any takers on such a project?
Thanks!

Either take a picture of the wood you're going to use or find a bitmap of wood that you like.Use the wood bitmap, what ever it ends up to be, as a bump map on whatever it is you're printing. Print and cut the resultant image on vinyl. Instant wood grain imposed on your print.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Either take a picture of the wood you're going to use or find a bitmap of wood that you like.Use the wood bitmap, what ever it ends up to be, as a bump map on whatever it is you're printing. Print and cut the resultant image on vinyl. Instant wood grain imposed on your print.

What he said. I can't imagine you'd get very good results on an unfinished piece of wood, or anything that's not constructed to accept the ink.

Mosh

Print a wood texture. I have done the "woody" effect a few times and it turned out great.

rdm01

Sorry, not looking for a texture or bump map of wood. We want this to be the real deal. If it doesn't work that is fine, I can explore other avenues, but a "textured wood print" is like printing a high res image of a wooden floor, lay it on linoleum, and convince your client you installed hardwood floors.

I could wrap a piece of this easy, but my concern would be having to take a rivet brush and cover 128 square feet of board if one could simply print on it.

I will continue to research and call on resources. Thank you for the help thus far.

Ryan

rubo

Thanks!

yes you can - what kind of printer do you have? I print on wood everyday - all day - UV works perfectly ( have printed on HP, Gerber and Flora), I print on wood veneer on my Epson w waterbased inks, then mount on plywood. Your best bet would have been trying it. some things you don't need to ask questions, just do it.

I have printed on a provided stained cedar blank on a HP Flatbed back in about 09. We ran test print first to have the customer sign off on it. It turned out great, customer loved it. I don't remember what it said or why they wanted it but customer get what customer wants.

KudzuKenny

HP 35500 Struggles

I'm trying to print to 1/4" plywood and I can get the grip rollers to pull a 24"x36" sheet through it. Anyone have suggestions? I tried putting overmask on the back, but that didn't do it. Thoughts?

AnthonyRalano

woodtest.jpg I actually tried this tonight in the direct to garment printer. The wood soaked it up and it bled. They do make a non-textile pretreat for this though so I will give it another go. This is one of Pat's files that I inverted to make the text black. Just a test run but it will be nice once I perfect it.

EddieHollywood

I print on wood

I print on wood all the time it can be done and looks great.

We are investing a lot of $$ in it right now to be able to print larger on wood.
We can print to wood anything we design in PhotoShop or CorelDRAW and the color is very good like a photo but with the real wood texture with in the image.

Typestries

Flatbed printing on wood to the trade

We print on wood–painted, whitewashed, clearcoated and raw. Here we are printing for a shop that markets these for retail sale. As long as its a decent quality panel that is flat, it works quite well!

Attachments

• Photo May 09, 3 22 18 PM.jpg
    Photo May 09, 3 22 18 PM.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Photo May 09, 12 50 14 PM.jpg
    Photo May 09, 12 50 14 PM.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 72

danno

We are currently working with a man that has brought us some 3/4" birch to print on. The first test went ok for us, we are waiting on him to see if the coating he puts on the print gives the results he needs. It looked better that I thought it would. Could still see some of the grain in the wood. Nice texture that will not be achievable with anything else.

TCBinaflash

I recently did a direct to wood (maple ply) on my Agfa UV. No issues. Just has to be flat flat flat.
I've also printed to nice maple veneers with really rich flaming and mounted to mdf.

woodcraft sells the veneers. Came out fantastic.

Can't photoshop the natural finish of wood and have it come out realistic IMHO