Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Print Head Replacement

Discussion in 'Summa' started by aha!creative, Nov 27, 2012.

1. aha!creative

aha!creative Member

Apr 4, 2011
    I have been trying to troubleshoot a print defect issue with my Summa for about 4 months and nothing seems to be working. A hairline streak from left to right will not print at both the top and now the bottom of each pass. This renders my prints unsellable. Summa Tech suggested rotating print plates, cleaning the head etc. but now after all the trial and error they are suggesting a new print head, which only costs $1800... OUCH! I am going out on a whim here and wondering if any Summa users have had this problem, or have ANY suggestions for an alternative to spending $1800. Any advice is welcome. I know Summa parts are not available as after market or off brand but I just can't spend that kind of cash right now!

THANKS!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
    Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    What have you been doing for the last four months to keep your customers happy, if your printer doesn't cut it ??

Can you post up a picture [preferably a close-up]or two, so those who might be able to help can see what you are describing ??

3. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Pictures help a lot.

We replaced the print head in ours not long after we received it. If you go that route the process wasn't that difficult.

4. aha!creative

aha!creative Member

Apr 4, 2011
    I have been squeeking by suggesting mostly white background stickers, and if they want full color prints, I have been selling them at a discounted rate.

Attached is a picture of 2 density tests that I ran, one in Cyan and one in black.

Attached Files:

5. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Summa a thermal printer ??

Those look like scratched heads. We had some thermal printers years ago..... and that look was always a head replacement deal.

6. aha!creative

aha!creative Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Yes, summa is a Thermal Printer. Not sure how the heads would get scratched though, but it definitely looks like 2 areas of the head are no longer functioning.

7. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    It looks like blown pixels, and the only way to fix it i replace the fead.

8. aha!creative

aha!creative Member

Apr 4, 2011
    That was what I was worried about... thanks. You got yours direct from Summa I assume?

9. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    That's where ours came from. Like you mentioned, not an alternative source of parts for these printers.