• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Head Replacement

aha!creative

I have been trying to troubleshoot a print defect issue with my Summa for about 4 months and nothing seems to be working. A hairline streak from left to right will not print at both the top and now the bottom of each pass. This renders my prints unsellable. Summa Tech suggested rotating print plates, cleaning the head etc. but now after all the trial and error they are suggesting a new print head, which only costs $1800... OUCH! I am going out on a whim here and wondering if any Summa users have had this problem, or have ANY suggestions for an alternative to spending $1800. Any advice is welcome. I know Summa parts are not available as after market or off brand but I just can't spend that kind of cash right now!

THANKS!

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What have you been doing for the last four months to keep your customers happy, if your printer doesn't cut it ??

Can you post up a picture [preferably a close-up]or two, so those who might be able to help can see what you are describing ??

jayhawksigns

Pictures help a lot.

We replaced the print head in ours not long after we received it. If you go that route the process wasn't that difficult.

aha!creative

I have been squeeking by suggesting mostly white background stickers, and if they want full color prints, I have been selling them at a discounted rate.

Attached is a picture of 2 density tests that I ran, one in Cyan and one in black.

Attachments

• IMAG1864.jpg
    IMAG1864.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 89

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Summa a thermal printer ??

Those look like scratched heads. We had some thermal printers years ago..... and that look was always a head replacement deal.

aha!creative

Yes, summa is a Thermal Printer. Not sure how the heads would get scratched though, but it definitely looks like 2 areas of the head are no longer functioning.