• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print Media Drying Racks?

ScottB

Experts,

I'm looking for foldable drying rack(s) that are at least 54" wide and would allow me to let the print off my printer dry and out gas with out having to move the print to another room.

What have you creative folks devised for a limited space large print drying solution?

I'm open to all suggestions (short of getting a bigger facility)!

Thanks In Advance!!

Do a search for "outgas" or "outgassing" and you'll find some good ideas. I have several milk crates that are suspended off the ground on blocks of wood. I can put entire rolls in each one or individual prints. Others use buckets, incorporate fans, etc.

anotherdog

I have a couple of Ikea clothes racks with 6 inch cardboard tubes on the top. Can drape any banner up to 12ft long. Adhesive, go for the crates or buckets as above.

Not so keen on the use of fans though. I have found fans just blow dust around.

There are some pretty good solutions on here if you just use the search

Bill Modzel

Check out some of the screen printing forums and you can probably find one. A friend of mine here in Michigan has a large rack for sale but shipping might be a bit crazy. If you're interested, contact me and I'll hook you up.

mark in tx

I have 2 of those plastic folding leg tables sitting in front of the printer, they are 8 foot long. I just stack the prints as they finish. Banners, I use the take-up reel.
The only media I worry about stacking is window perf, so I save some laminate carrier paper to put in between each one of those prints.
If the prints are longer, then I put 2 more tables in front of the printer.

tbaker

people often think that they need to either lay flat, or suspend their printed materials in order for them to outgas, but really all you need to do is leave them loosely rolled, so the printed material isn't touching the release liner, and leave them sit until cured. it takes up less space, and you don't need to build anything.

wolf

The answer here I think is your wall space if its free of cabinets or wall paintings. I use magnets to dry mine off a metal wall. If you don't have a metal wall you can attach metal sign sheeting on your wall. In Australia we call this colorbond. Lets say your wall is 2.4 metres high and 3 metres in width. What you can do is attach metal sheets just above your head level going across the 3 metre width of the wall and make sure it goes down vertically about 4 foot. If you want to run another one under this one you can which will give you more drying space. If you work in a metal tin shed you don't need to do this. All you need to do now is use heavy duty magnets (with handles which avery sells) and car wrap installers use to align signage on vehicles to hold them in place. Now all you need to do is place your print on the top of the sheet and hold it in place with magnets. If you intend to leave these up for a while don't attach the magnet over the print because it may leave an imprint. No extra space is needed & no racks need to be purchased.

Hope this helps.

Joe

ScottB

Wow! A lot of great ideas to ponder. But Mark in TX brought up an intersting comment, "I just stack the prints as they finish. Banners, I use the take-up reel." I've been wanting to add the take-up system to my printer but I've always wondered how tightly the print is wound and how it would affect outgassing (I use Eco-Sol inks). I guess my equipment representative doesnt have all the facts straight. Why only use it for banners? Because the material is reverse wound? Why not use it for every print? This sounds like another thread, but now I'm curious.

As for the drying rack solution, I think I'm going to go with the Clothes rack solution with maybe a few modifications.

Thanks Again!

jiarby

I never had a problem with banner or vinyl prints on my Mutoh 1604 pickup roller.
That is why they invented post platen heaters

MikePro

i just reverse-wind my prints on the take-up roller and when my rolls are done printing I stand the roll upright in a clean room and unspool it slightly so that the roll has gills to breath. put a box fan on top of the roll if you like, as well.

tbaker

the problem with just leaving things on the takeup roller is that they get tightly wound, this significantly prevents outgassing of the solvents. If you choose to leave it like that, I'd suggest releasing the tension throughout the roll so that there's breathing room for the solvents to evaporate.

This doesn't just apply for banner stock, but all media.