Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Print on clear

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by S'N'S, Aug 27, 2012.

1. S'N'S

S'N'S Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    First off I know this may sound a bit dumb ...I outsource any printing I need as I don't use printed vinyl all that much so haven't done this before......... Just got a company rang and asked me to install a print 10' x 4' on clear that's not laminated onto outside of a shop window, installing is no big deal, but would a felt squeegee be ok and not scratch the print or should I use a different type of squeegee? Thanks

Tags:
  2. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I cannot see why they would specifically request "unlaminated" vinyl for outdoor use. Did you price them unlaminated/laminated as options? Anything for outdoors should include lamination in its basic price point.

Yes, a felt squeegee will get you the best results.

3. ThinkRight

ThinkRight Active Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Atlanta Ga
    Use a thermal printer if it is not going to be laminated.

Anyone with a Summa DC4 should be able to print it for you.

:peace!:

4. S'N'S

S'N'S Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks guys but I'm just installing the print supplied by another sign company (they are 150 miles away) on a shop window (under a large verandah, so not out in the weather)
    Think they are only wanting it to last about 12 months.

5. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    As far as instaling you may want to premask to help protect for the installation, just you a low tack.

6. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    felt will be fine,
    we have done it before no issues

is this static cling or vinyl?

7. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I would lam anyway just so it doesn't get scratched during install (even with felt), but in your case this would be a cost. the cost of the lam is small compared to having to pull off, reprint and come back another day.

I guess it would be okay, especially if it's cling.

8. edgette

edgette Member

Jul 12, 2010
    If it's standard vinyl I don't understand why they would want printed clear. Why not just have a good cut vinyl for the job?