• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print server ...Help please?

::ONEBADBUG::

I know this isn't supposed to be rocket science but...

I have an Encad 700 60" machine (yeah ok... old machine Boo, Hiss but it does what I need for what I do quite well), a roland PC12 and an Ioline IS130 60" plotter. I'm running ONYX 6.5, Flexi 7pro and Corels pieces and parts.

The Encad came with a Fierry rip server... And have not installed more or less for my lack of knowledge when it comes to these things but finally decided to try and make use of it seeing as the prints that I have done thus far always seem to 'OFF" when it comes thier printed colors as to what I specify should be being printed.

I have been up and down and all around through the Onyx manuals as well as the Encad manual.. and when it come to installing let alone configuring it on a netwrk... all either bascialy says "Install the dvice" and thats about it... and has a nice picture of it siting there hooked up and thats about it.

So I tried hooking it up... (as vaguely shown in the manuals) Plugged it all in, ran the cables and so on... And for the life of me nothing happens. Can anyone one help me get this thing up and tunning?

I apologize for not understanding exactly what I am doing when it comes to adding this device... I don't seem to have any issues installing or configuring other hardware type things but I am just lost with this one!

I thank you in advance for any help that anyone can offer lighting my darkness of the issue.

Gene

did you assign it an IP address?
Yes but keeps showing up as unknown device

When I purchased it, it came from a working enviroment so I saw it working and I can connect it to the printer and make it run the tests so I know it is working its just not getting across the network... So I know I am just screwing up something mundane...

it's driving me bonkers!

What print server are you using with the Encad?
Have just been printing direct from ONYX and Flexi and the machine they are installed to the Encad off the network...

From Onyx the colors are way off.
From Flexi they are seriously dark.

Yeah I know how much most here loathe these ancient stuffs but...
it's what I got not to mention what I can afford and has done what I have completed so far phenomally and only want to make it work better.

Ok, fiddled & found out that it had dead cmos battery, changed it... boot checksum error (internal clock issue) now gone, configured it, the network finds it.
Now the only 2 questions I still have are these...

1) Where should I be I putting the ONYX hardware lock..? To the server itself and ONYX will see it on the system?? or to the machine where ONYX is actually located
&

2) Which port should I be using from the server to the printer?
Below is a shot of the back of the server, if some one can just tell me which one to use by number it would sure help me out thanks...

the shop I got this from kept the cables and after going thru all my extra cables here I dont have a male/male 25 > 36 (centroncs?) cable?? If anyone can suggest the correct one so I only have to buy it once would really help...

and if you know (yes I know what the 'A' port is) but what are the B, C & D ports for... especially C & D... never seen them before.. its more or less just for my own knowledge...

here's a pic of the back of my Fiery XJ
fiery_XJ.jpg

So.... recalibrated the printer, wiped all the profiles, found some newer ICC profiles from Kodak & threw the Fiery in the garbage...

Problem Solved.... runs like a charm but...

next question.... needs new thread... IEEE cables longer than 12Ft....

paul luszcz

I read this late, but you did the right thing. The Fiery RIP is a hardware RIP; Onyx is a software RIP; both do the same thing. You need one or the other to run the Encad.

From the photo it looks like the Fiery RIP accepts a number of inputs and outputs. It predates USB and looks like you can use a Parallel port (A) or Serial port (B) to hook up your computer. Output to the printer using either SCSI (C) or Parallel (D).

I had one years ago and trashed it in favor of a software RIP.