Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

print shifting over a 30" length when applied

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by gabagoo, Jun 8, 2012.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I suppose it is all part of the day, but I have these 8 indoor signs that naturally are due today. I cut my alumapanel last night and oversized the print just a bit.
    I like using the laminator to apply the vinyl (no lam), but today for whatever reason the print when finished has either stretched and moved up on the material or is just somehow shifting over a very short span.
    the last one I was so careful and ran the laminator slowly and it did the exact same thing. I still have 5 more to do and figure maybe I should premask them as possibly it is a little to hot today and the vinyl is a little gummy.....what you think?

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    alupanel cut off-square perhaps?

3. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

I have tried this method with disaterous results lol

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    oh I was saying you perhaps cut them off-square, not suggesting you should

5. Farmboy

Farmboy Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Auburn, NY
    Mask and maybe start at the center of the panel.

6. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

this what I doing now, although in cooler temps I never have this issue, even on 4 x 8's

7. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    I doubt this is the case but perhaps the laminator is a little out of whack and needs an adjustment.

8. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I had exactly the same issue mounting to Acrylic a few weeks ago, laminated adhesive mounting to the short edge. It's the bow in the laminator, the slight bulge in the middle shifts long mounts slightly off. after 48 inches I was a tenth off the edge!

My signs were only 1'x4' so I could mount on the long edge. Solved the issue for me.

if not try the lightest pressure to not flex the rollers

9. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Put a blank through and you slightly bend the rollers (they flex). if you aren't in the exact centre it will shift the mounting.

10. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

yea that must be it, i tend to stay to one side because there is a table on either side that is a pain to move around. I will start using the middle more and see if things improve.

I thought it was the humid heat we had today as the vinyl seemed so stretchy. Possibly a combination of both. the premask worked