• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printable Magnetic Receptive w/ Adhesive, Does it Exist?

Christian @ 2CT Media

Like the title asks, I have a possible large conversion project for one of my larger clients and am trying to see if there is a printable magnetic receptive material that has an adhesive already applied?

Project is converting an aluminum surface to be magnetic (not vehicle doors). but the conversion needs to have a permanent image and then there will be magnet layers they would apply over the top for temporary events.

Does it exist or am I making my own material?

The other option we are contemplating is seeing if there is an Easy Dot type dual adhesive with a solid permanent on one side and easy dot re-placeable on the other side and applying that to a rigid panel.

Bert Wondervan

eXhPEeY.jpg

Magnet foil
With this Ferro iron foil with an adhesive layer you can make surfaces suitable (containing iron) and then attach magnets or magnetic foil to them. Ferro has a strong adhesive layer and you can easily stick it on anything. Stick this iron foil on wood, cupboard, panel, door or wall etc. and then easily stick magnets or magnetic foil to it. You can best compare this foil with iron paint, but in foil form.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Like the title asks, I have a possible large conversion project for one of my larger clients and am trying to see if there is a printable magnetic receptive material that has an adhesive already applied?

Project is converting an aluminum surface to be magnetic (not vehicle doors). but the conversion needs to have a permanent image and then there will be magnet layers they would apply over the top for temporary events.

Does it exist or am I making my own material?

The other option we are contemplating is seeing if there is an Easy Dot type dual adhesive with a solid permanent on one side and easy dot re-placeable on the other side and applying that to a rigid panel.

This is the first thing I think about. Why does it have to be magnetic? Why not use XBASE? http://www.gansdigital.com/2017/01/19/x-base-is-here/

Christian @ 2CT Media

It doesn't look like any of these have what I need with out me either applying a print or adhesive ourselves... Which is no problem, just trying to save steps

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Xbase may work but is it outdoor rated? Most of these units will be outdoors in the elements.

Can we use any adhesive with Xbase? Is Xbase printable on the temporary surface and have a permanent adhesive for the application surface?

XBase was made for outdoor use specifically. It is not printable, but you can laminate your print with the Clear then apply decals over it.

unclebun

I don't remember what it was called, but we've done store graphic installations where we installed an adhesive magnetic backer to plasterboard walls, then a thin, printed magnetic graphic would install on it. Is that what you are looking for?

Christian @ 2CT Media

I don't remember what it was called, but we've done store graphic installations where we installed an adhesive magnetic backer to plasterboard walls, then a thin, printed magnetic graphic would install on it. Is that what you are looking for?
sort of, but the initial layer of magnetic is printable.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Sweet, can you get me pricing? also is the bond strong enough to hold up coroplast with a full surface adhesive?

Should not be a problem, how big is the coroplast sheet? I would use a heavy duty double sided adhesive for heavier objects.

Christian @ 2CT Media

The more I visualize it, Im thinking for this application XBase wont work as it would require the client store 100's of backing paper liners for the overlays which will pose a problem.

Now we are back looking at magnetic or microsuction.

NicMarKro

Maker of Weird Things
I used to produce a ton of graphics like this for a major retailer and like you mentioned, we were having to apply full coverage adhesive to printable magnet. Not ideal to add that additional step, especially for high quantities. We did a deep dive looking for an alternative and ultimately didn’t find anything (though this was ~2 years ago so that may have changed), but we did talk to a couple of manufacturers who agreed to take on that portion of the process themselves (adding adhesive onto their existing printable magnet product) given we were hitting sizeable MOQs.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The more I visualize it, Im thinking for this application XBase wont work as it would require the client store 100's of backing paper liners for the overlays which will pose a problem.

Now we are back looking at magnetic or microsuction.
If you laminate clear XBase on top of your graphics, you can stack them on top of each other for storage.