• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed Acrylic exterior Business Sign Plaque Question

gancan

I have an order for a small exterior standoff mounted plaque. I was thinking of reverse uv-flatbed printing this on a clear 3/8" acrylic to have a nice glossy face with polished edge and also protect the graphic. My concern is that the reverse-printed graphic may be overexposed to the elements. Any other suggestions on getting this done? I want to stay away from printing on adhesive vinyl.

Attachments

• door_plaque.jpg
    door_plaque.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 129

visual800

clear acrylic outside is not very good. you are actually making this small plaque to expensive and overthinking it. I would make it out of 1/4" aluminum with a digital print laminated on outside of it, BUT of course that would be expensive

Chasez

Not sure if it is the same where you are, but where I am, Acrylic can't go outside, too much variation in temperature cause the acrylic to expand and contract, and when it is screwed in if there is not enough room in screw holes etc. for the acrylic to expand/contract it will crack. Could use lexan as an alternative. I agree, probably I thin aluminum panel, or PVC product would be your best bet to keep costs down.

Chaz

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If you're worried about acrylic cracking, I certainly wouldn't use PVC.
Polycarbonate would be a better option, if you're set on a second surface print. Otherwise, as others mentioned, aluminum with a first surface print.

gancan

thanks for the info guys. After reading the replies, I saw that the biggest thing to look out for was the expansion/contraction of the acrylic. Having done previous exterior signage with this material I feel pretty confident in having no issues with that. As added precaution I will drill the hole slightly larger than the threaded standoff. I also opted to reverse printing on clear adhesive and mounting to second surface over direct printing due to printer limitations. It will be backed with white vinyl. Have a nice weekend!