• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed and Cut Wall Decals

Tyler Durden

Hello all,
I have read through all the threads on this and still come up short.

I am looking or a 6mill or so wall vinyl that I can cut on bleed and it will not curl on wall or fall off.

I know about the phototex stuff but that is like a material type stuff and what I saw was not opaque.

I'm looking for more of a matte vinyl. I guess the main thing is I can print full bleed, cut right after and not have it curl. I run ECO solvent.

Thanks in advance.:toasting:

Biker Scout

You cannot cut right after... ever. Have to let eco-solvent inks dry out (outgas) and the gooey vinyl get back to a more solid state before you drag a knife blade across it. You can however speed up your time to cutting by laminating. That will also help decal edges not curl. Matte or Luster lamination looks the best on wall graphics.

Biker Scout

Oh yeah, they did come out with an opaque version. I have a sample roll. I think I'll print something on it.

a77

I have used Mactac Roodle for some small wall decals.
Prints nice, cuts nice and goes down nice.
I chose this product over the Noodle because it advertises no edge curl with full bleed.

The decals do show a bit of curl after a few days. It's not continuing to lift but if you look at it from a shallow angle or run your finger along it, you will feel the edge coming up a little bit.

Haven't had any complaints yet. But it does bother me a bit as I see it in my shop and that's on a clean wall with me installing myself.

I waited over 36 hours before cutting and this was done on my eco-sol printer.

I've think I've tried almost every wall decal product out there. Beyond the curling issue, almost all of them had issues sticking to certain paints. All of the products adhered with no problems in my front office. The back of the shop was painted at a different time and doesn't work with the adhesive, almost all of the decals that I tried will either start to curl or completely fall off the wall within 24 hours.

Phototex was least problematic but at that time they didn't offer an opaque version, so it only worked for certain applications.

I tried to do a project last year using some of the mactac I had inventory, after talking to mactac, they suggested doing an adhesion test. I went by the customers and installed about (20) 10" x 10" squares of unprinted mactac on various walls throughout the building. I came back a few days later and everything looked fine.

Printed about 60 or 70 prints, waited a week and installed. Within 2 days every single one of them fell off the wall. Ever since I've avoided using any the materials specifically designed for wall decals.

~Chris

DesireeM

Avery 2611 has a nice matte finish. On a couple occasions I cut it about 10 minutes after printing and it didn't curl.

Like previously mentioned, some paints just won't accept vinyl...Gloss or high-gloss will give you problems. As will paints that are "dirt/stain resistant".
Even some matte paints will give you issues depending on the brand. In my experience you just have to make sure it's not fresh paint, clean and prep the area, cross your fingers and hope for the best. (Of course give the customer a "no guarantees" disclaimer beforehand)

shoresigns

Avery 2611 has a nice matte finish. On a couple occasions I cut it about 10 minutes after printing and it didn't curl.

Like previously mentioned, some paints just won't accept vinyl...Gloss or high-gloss will give you problems. As will paints that are "dirt/stain resistant".
Even some matte paints will give you issues depending on the brand. In my experience you just have to make sure it's not fresh paint, clean and prep the area, cross your fingers and hope for the best. (Of course give the customer a "no guarantees" disclaimer beforehand)

That's about the best you can do. If the customer knows that it's dirt/stain resistant paint, then I would just recommend using your regular stock vinyl and tell them it'll stick better but it will likely take the paint with it if they want to remove it.

petepaz

IMAGESTAR DPMSPPRE Polypropylene Film Digital Media

ImageStar DPM PP film with repositionable adhesive is a tear resistant polypropylene film with a water resistant satin coating.

get this from nazdar source 1
used it with full black bleed and had no curling issues. i did let it out gas over night to be safe but it worked better than the oracal stuff

C

ColoPrinthead

I've never contour cut it, but I have had good luck with Avery 2611. I had 3x6 ft full bleed print on a textured wall for over year and only had slight lifting of about .25-.5 of an inch along the edge after 6 months; I just pressed it back to the wall where it remained until removal. I should also mention I didn't use squeegee when I applied, just pressed it on with my hands.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Noodle & Roodle

I haven't actually tried roodle, but I printed & diecutted (right after print) kids trucks (Bulldozer, Excavator, dumptruck, very intricate designs) on Noodle on my flatbed UV printer. My 3 year old has been taking them on and off our walls for the last year. No curling and they still stick awesome on 4 year old latex paint. Yep, unfortunately it sounds like the problem lies in what solvent ink is doing to the material since UV sits on top. The only problem I had was tearing, since I didn't round the inside corners and no laminate. Do you want me to print them on my flatbed printer? Ha ha. Yes I know, that still doesn't solve your problem.

Hello all,
I have read through all the threads on this and still come up short.

I am looking or a 6mill or so wall vinyl that I can cut on bleed and it will not curl on wall or fall off.

I know about the phototex stuff but that is like a material type stuff and what I saw was not opaque.

I'm looking for more of a matte vinyl. I guess the main thing is I can print full bleed, cut right after and not have it curl. I run ECO solvent.

Thanks in advance.:toasting:

CanuckSigns

+3 for Avery 2611, of all the vinyl based wall medias, it's the best hands down, we've printed tons of it and installed it 2-3 years ago in public places, not a single complaint, I walk by it all the time, looks just as good as the day I installed it.