• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed stickers [with bleed] edges curve-up/unpeel

AylmerSigns

Good afternoon guys,

I'm having a little issue with printed decals. I was requested to have 2.5" x 3" stickers produced (500 qty). The top edge is of a 0.75" black band, that requires bleed. When I print my sticker on my Roland VP-540, the top portion of my decals (at the cut-line) peels up, even before I remove the excess vinyl. I usually run print+cut; should I print them (with alignment marks), leave them for a few hours/days, and then cut them ? Leaving a white border is not an option, customer absolutely wants it to cover the edges!

Thanks guys, and have yourselves a great day!

tsgstl

Yes let it sit. I print bleeds on 50% of my print/cut jobs and the only time I ever have issues is with matte material.

I let it sit at least a hour or two but if I can 24 hours.

Bigdawg

Just Me
What material are you using? Some are going to curl no matter what...

but I don't print and cut together unless there is no bleed on the decal.. if there's bleed we feed it back through the next day.

MikeD

cast material will hold it's shape better than calendared. Most manufacturers tell you to leave the print for at least 24hrs, but it really depends on the ink limits of the profile you are using. Heat and air flow can expedite the dry time.
Good Luck!

jfiscus

Rap Master
Too much ink saturation will cause the vinyl to curl or deform as it is staying wet too long. Possibly try adjusting your ink limits or profile used on the job.

Malkin

What material are you using? Some are going to curl no matter what...

but I don't print and cut together unless there is no bleed on the decal.. if there's bleed we feed it back through the next day.

+1

If I allow 24hrs before cutting I rarely have curling/lifting issues. There is still some shrinkage eventually :omg: (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

tattoo.dan

this is an excellent example of why I have never bought into the print/cut of Roland...hope you didn't have anything else to print while that dries!

Malkin

That's what the print/cut alignment marks are for... Just set it aside for a while and then reload.

petepaz

as said above you have to let it sit over night that's #1 and also said above could be the material.we have had this problem many times and you have to let them out gas/dry. we use oracal 3651 and 3164 as long as they sit over night no problem. as far as the roland print cut system if you have to let the prints sit over night to dry how does that screw up your jobs. you can print other jobs while one is drying. if you run a lot of large qty jobs that are print cut with out dry time it can increase the time to complete the job but for 5-10 sheets it's no issue at all. it also depends on what your delivery time is for the job.

401Graphics

this is an excellent example of why I have never bought into the print/cut of Roland...hope you didn't have anything else to print while that dries!
I dont really like rolands/versaworks much myself, but that is a dumb statement. You obviously dont know about rolands if you think you have to cut immediately after printing, or have to wait before you can start printing/cutting a new project.

AylmerSigns

Thanks for all the information guys! I printed some stickers with bleed yesterday, and will be cutting them later this afternoon. I hope they don't peel up!

As for the ink limitation; I am using Avery 3303 - with Avery's 3303 ICC Profile from their website - does that set the ink limitation by itself?

Thanks again for all the help!

tattoo.dan

I dont really like rolands/versaworks much myself, but that is a dumb statement. You obviously dont know about rolands if you think you have to cut immediately after printing, or have to wait before you can start printing/cutting a new project.

No I just meant that you would have to re-load it anyway...so not a huge advantage to having the print/cut feature....

I was discussing the advantages/disadvantages of this set up earlier or I never would have even commented! lol