• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer for stickers/decals

hazelsmrf

Logos are a non issue, I am a graphic designer, I make all my own vectors in Illustrator. I print out my own products to sell, as well as sell stock graphics. I am not looking at starting a printing business as much as just wanting to be able to print out my own items for resale. Right now I have a Primera label printer that I use to print my photography stickers, and an HP laser printer that I use to print out my name labels. These are fine for my current volumes but I've pretty much pushed this setup as far as it can go, I can't scale well from here and go mass production. I've looked into having my stickers printed by a print shop but that would only be viable for part of my products, not personalized ones where I need to be able to produce them and turn them around in 48 hours.

I am NOT running by the seat of my pants and hoping not to get caught, I want to build a legit business and so I came here looking for help, I do not mind investing in the proper equipment but just telling me that I'm stupid and can't do it really isn't helpful at all, is it? Are you saying that it's *impossible* to do these decals? Because obviously all those companies I listed above do it just fine! And yes, they use the same sticker material for both dishwasher and washing machine. My current labels do not survive in washing machines so I just don't bother with that. These companies from what I can tell print on 3M vinyl (scotchcal?) with eco-solvent inks and use a laminate.

hazelsmrf

Only an idiot would print something on an inkjet printer and sell it for some of the uses you mentioned.

And again, those labels that I posted up there, they all go in the dishwasher. They are all used for the uses that I described. They are in parenting magazines, sold in schools. Your opinion is that they're all idiots and doing something illegal. Mabels Labels even sells in Walmart.

hazelsmrf

Licensing is another question of course. But how can you control people where they will stick the decal you purchased from you? Unless yes, you specifically advertise that they are for lunch boxes and blah blah blah.

They go wherever people need to label their things. Books, school supplies, lunch boxes, sports equipment. I labeled every marker, pencil case, book and art supply for my daughter's school items, I also label her lunch containers and lids, toys when she brings them to school for show and tell etc. Some put allergy alert labels on food containers etc.

reQ

They go wherever people need to label their things. Books, school supplies, lunch boxes, sports equipment. I labeled every marker, pencil case, book and art supply for my daughter's school items, I also label her lunch containers and lids, toys when she brings them to school for show and tell etc. Some put allergy alert labels on food containers etc.

Yeah, i get it

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay hazel.......

You do it your way and have a blast. I don't think you're stoopid, just your methods and the way you ignore basic business procedure.

You want to come here and get tips on creating a successful and bigger business, but you defend doing things generally frowned upon by most professionals. You want to compete with others who are playing by the rules, while you're trying to cut corners and still appear to be like them.

Yep, ya gotta start somewhere........

Good luck.......​

hazelsmrf

Okay hazel.......

You do it your way and have a blast. I don't think you're stoopid, just your methods and the way you ignore basic business procedure.

You want to come here and get tips on creating a successful and bigger business, but you defend doing things generally frowned upon by most professionals. You want to compete with others who are playing by the rules, while you're trying to cut corners and still appear to be like them.

Yep, ya gotta start somewhere........
Good luck.......​

Gino what is your issue! Where did I ever say that I want to cut corners. Where did you ever offer me constructive advice? I asked what I need to do in order to do this thing, and your very helpful reply was that I can't do it and it's illegal and if I do it I should get shut down. Obviously it is not illegal and people ARE doing it and I just want to make sure I'm buying the proper equipment to produce these on a proper scale. Yes I want tips on the print industry because I'm just starting out in this, but I'm not new to business in general and understand things like copyrights etc.

So please, if you want to be helpful, then do so, and I'll be grateful for any advice you have. If you just want to berate me and say that I'm ignoring basic business procedures, then at least be helpful and point out exactly what I'm doing wrong so I have some sort of idea. If not then I'll just continue on with the other lovely people offering me advice on the thread without stooping to insults.

-Julie

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino what is your issue! Where did I ever say that I want to cut corners. Where did you ever offer me constructive advice? I asked what I need to do in order to do this thing, and your very helpful reply was that I can't do it and it's illegal and if I do it I should get shut down. Obviously it is not illegal and people ARE doing it and I just want to make sure I'm buying the proper equipment to produce these on a proper scale. Yes I want tips on the print industry because I'm just starting out in this, but I'm not new to business in general and understand things like copyrights etc.

So please, if you want to be helpful, then do so, and I'll be grateful for any advice you have. If you just want to berate me and say that I'm ignoring basic business procedures, then at least be helpful and point out exactly what I'm doing wrong so I have some sort of idea. If not then I'll just continue on with the other lovely people offering me advice on the thread without stooping to insults.

-Julie

No issue. I gave various pieces of advise. What you take from it, is up to you. So far, you don't like mine because it conflicts with the way you want to do business. That, I cannot help.

It is not illegal to do it for those following proper procedures and regulations.

Have you called, emailed, written or gone to speak with people issuing licenses and setting up by the book ?? I don't think so, because you are here asking the wrong kinda questions. Sure, we can tell you what equipment will work or get you better results, but for me, you must tell me you are set up businesswise to do such.

That's the part which is hard to cope.

hazelsmrf

I do have a business license though, and a tax ID, and a licensed business name etc. I don't know why you assume I don't. I did not come here asking for someone to give me a step by step guide on setting up a business. I already have a business, and a website, and branding, and packaging for my labels, and I do have label designs and labels. I just don't have a way to go from small print runs to large print runs, which is where I need advice/help.

reQ

I think its what Gino was wondering about. If u r fully registered business or another guy with a printer trying to do business on the side kinda thing. Lot of ppl buying printers etc, don't know wtf they are getting in to then run for help

hazelsmrf

I fully admit that I don't fully know what I'm getting into on the printer side of things, which is why I went online and sought out places where I could find some information to start with. Then I would seek local distributors of those brands and seek demos. So far I've also contacted several companies to ask for print samples. I do expect that I'll have a learning curve. I expect that I'll probably scrap my first runs and have some growing pains. But I also feel that this is something that can complement my current skills really well. I already do plenty of layout work, drawing, I can use Illustrator in my sleep... I figure these are things that would probably help me with a cutter. I understand color theory and already use the pantone system in my current client work. I can make this work :)

It does seem that most of the machines that interested me are deemed to be good, so I'm not too nervous for that anymore. I'm glad that I read further before thinking that the BN-20 would be the machine for me, after seeing how slow it is I think it would have frustrated the heck out of me :)

player

I think a used Roland SP300 would do what you want. Print/cut, 30" wide material, Ecosol Max inks, comes with Versaworks rip...etc.

player

A simple explanation:

The printers need a "rip", the print software that sizes the print etc. I think only Roland printers come with a rip (Versaworks). All others you need to buy the rip. They cost $thousands. Onyx, Flexi, Signlab, Coldera etc. The rip programs are just really fancy print drivers like your desktop inkjet printer uses on steroids...

To print in the Roland Veraworks, you open the graphics file in Veraworks, set the size, media, quantity, etc., then print.

Another aspect is the media profiles. They are required to get the proper colours, ink densities etc. for your media. Roland has many and most vinyl manufacturers supply profiles for Versaworks and the other top rip programs.

To print/cut or just cut, there is a Roland contour colour you bring into Illustrator. Make the cut contour that special colour in Illustrator and when you bring the file into Versaworks it recognizes it as the cut path, and you easily print, cut, or print cut...

The "free" Versaworks rip makes Roland an attractive option.

hazelsmrf

Thank you! That is really helpful, i'll go take a look at some screenshots of the different software choices.

If you want the graphic to be kiss cut and then die cut, is that something that all the cutters can do, or only some? For example I cut out my 4 inch circle stickers individually, but my small 1 inch circles I sell in sheets of 12. Right now that means me cutting them out manually on my guillotine after running them through my cutter.

Sign Works

You did mention space restraints a couple times, check specs/dimensions of any equipement your interested in. A 30" printer is not 30" overall. My 30" Roland SP-300V is approx 6' long and you need room around the machine for loading media, etc. And don't forget room for a laminator as well.

hazelsmrf

I have a 10 foot wall with about 6 feet of space in front of it, ideally all the equipment would fit into that area. The more compact the better because it would make my room a bit more crowded, but as I'm the only one who uses it I can manage. I do have a large corner desk that I use as a drawing table that I could move if I needed to, or set up as a lamination space.

player

Thank you! That is really helpful, i'll go take a look at some screenshots of the different software choices.

If you want the graphic to be kiss cut and then die cut, is that something that all the cutters can do, or only some? For example I cut out my 4 inch circle stickers individually, but my small 1 inch circles I sell in sheets of 12. Right now that means me cutting them out manually on my guillotine after running them through my cutter.

I am not an expert on cutting, but I don't think plotters are going to cut the backer into sheets. There are different cutters for doing that. I would think flat bed cutters would be able to cut the backer as well as the conventional vinyl cutting.

There is a technique some cutters will do called "perf cutting" where the knife cuts up and down "perforating" the backer so it is cut right through the backer in small segments so the decal can be separated out and is in effect die cut. Roland's can do it.

Some printer like Roland have a sheet cut knife, that cuts the roll off completely.

artofacks1

I'm more interested in the dishwashers safe material on what is the combination that does that? Sticker and lam material.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I apologize for jumping down your throat.

It appears you might be set up in business, but it still doesn't sound like you are setup correctly to do the things or level you are anticipating.

Homeowners insurance is not considered business insurance, but let's put those logistics aside for the moment.

Basically, running this out of a single room, is running the risk of health hazards. Not just in the room, but throughout the house/apartment or whatever, when running these types of inks. In a room as small as you described, it should be ventilated by most government standards and the insurance industry. Do you have any young children or pets in this dwelling ?? If not for your own sake, then for them, it's tough on young lung tissue and other things.

There are other things which can be harmful to young wondering hands if you don't have your eyes on them 24/7.

Also, the requests of your original OP, still sounds like you want to put these things in dishwashers. While you might not be concerned for your own health or those in your household, when running a business, you must follow the laws for making everything completely safe for any possibility. Kids chewing on shirts, licking lunch pails and so forth. Perhaps none of the others you mentioned are concerned either. Someone should probably look into this for all of your sakes.

Billct2

The more info you give the more I think a Gerber Edge setup would work for you. The newer software & machines do the perf cut/kiss cut/back cut that works for those types of products. It's also small and odorless.