• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printer questions...

GP

Greetings-

I am looking into starting my sign business. I have some pretty strong relationships with area realtor/developers, builders and several in the boat sales arena. So, I hope to do some boat lettering, job site signs, trailer and fleet lettering and residential signage (these are my lofty hopes anyways). On top of misc. realtor signs and whatever else comes my way!

I have been looking into different ways of entering the market. I would like to pull the trigger on a printer.cutter combo. I tried my best to seach the forum for information (and there is plenty), but it seems technology changes quickly in this industry and I have yet to visit a trade show to explore all of the most options.

Because of limited space and finances, the PrismJet Extra seemed like the best first choice. But the more I read, the PrismJetV seems like it would be worth the extra money.

My very limited experience with vinyl cutters was with a Graphtec and I have read several wishy washy reviews on the Q series from Sign Warehouse. Comments would be appreciated on building a suitable bundle.

One stupid question, to print a true 4 x 8 panel, do I need to step up to the 62" printer?

That is enough for now. Thank you for all of your input. This seems to be the most valuable resource, so forgive me for getting long winded!

Regards,

GP

pogiboy9

Sounds good Vinyl Cutter good way to go. Just start learning your applications and media.

About your 4 x 8 you might want to outsource that one. Unless you want to buy a Flat Bed UV.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK
A printer would be a good way to go with the real estate people. Be warned though, they tend to want everything cheep!

GP

Thanks for all of the input. As a Realtor myself, I totally agree! I do want everything cheap! That is why I am having such a hard time pulling the trigger.

Cannot convince myself to pull the trigger on a 17k dollar machine. I think I would be more comfortable with some marketing and operating money in the bank.

Thinking now that I may purchase the Graphtec fc7000. And bundle it with the ValueJet or PrismJetV when I feel a little more comfortable.

I really wanted to market the large format capabilities of the new business. I was very excited about using it for my own vehicle logo and marketing stickers!

Just noticed that sign warehouse no longer carries the 100, or the 42" version. Did they phase this model out out? I guess I will need the 130 anyway, in the event I move into the 48" printer.

If I decide to go strictly the cutter route, do I purchase a software package like FlexiSign with the print capabilities (to familiarize myself with the functions) or wait to see what is available at the point of purchase?

Thanks again for your assistance!

GP

GP

Wouldn't let me leave it blank when I was registering...thought that was the route I was going, so I went with it.

I have a good friend from Greenwood. Believe he might know you. Or at least, of your business. It came up in conversation anyways....

Small world.

Last edited:

Techman

you need to re do your homework. REal estate person area bout the worst customers on the block. Boats already have lots of lettering on them.

You cannot buy yourself a sign job just by purchasing a printer. , IT don't happen like that at all. What are your art skills? what are your mechanical skill? And what are your marketing skills?

GP

Thank you for your concern techman. It is feedback like that that makes me glad I joined the forum in the first place. It is never a bad idea to re-approach your business plan, whether you are new to the business, or have been in it for years.

Although I do not feel like I need to defend my business experience in detail, I do have a fair amount of art experience, mostly in photography, however. My partner has worked in the art/design environment and has amazing design and software skills. I partnered in a photo printing lab for several years, so I find myself handy in a mechanical environment, although I will not pretend to know anything about large format digital printing. I also assumed a payroll business for a few years, rewriting its business plan, developing new software to automate its production environment and rewrote its marketing plan (logo and marketing suite design, web presents, sales staff, etc). The software and production I was good at. The marketing I loved. The taxes and payroll environment I hated. I am currently in real estate, which involves a heck of a lot of marketing oneself. Through my years here in Charleston, I have made several contacts in a wide variety of arenas, which I hope hit first (those I mentioned earlier). Hopefully, this will put food on the table in the beginning, while I adapt my business and marketing efforts to find the larger fish.

My other feather in my cap, is two of my very good friends have just retired from the business (regrettably it seems).

One is burned out. He prefers being hands on. He did not want to manage a production environment. Over the past 15 years in business, he saw an incredible amount of change and does not want to make the next investment in technology. He just loves making signs. Fortunately, he owns his space outright, so he gets to keep his "club house." Phone still rings. He promised to funnel some business my way and has agreed to let me use his space for the first few months to learn the trade.

The other, regrettably sold his company after being approached by the same buyer three times in two years. He is younger, passionate about the sign business and was very successful in the sales environment. I have been meeting with him regularly to discuss trends in our area. He has given me some good ideas and I will continue to meet with him.

Boy, this is long winded. I look forward to getting involved in this forum in whatever capacity I can. In the payroll industry, we had an organized "users group." It is a valuable tool, no matter how much or how little one could contribute. I was always the young guy with too much to say. But I managed to teach the more seasoned, much wiser veterans a little here and there, and I hope in the years to come, I might do the same in this field. Congratulations to everyone for taking the time to contribute back to your craft. It is one of the very reasons we are so attracted to the business. Good luck and thank you again,

GP

myronb

I hope you didn't think I was busting your chops, I was just curious!
Who do you know in Greenwood?

Todd Jelle

I think what these guys are doing is forwarning you, if not I am.
This biz is very demanding & will force you to gain skills you may not be prepared for, or even consider.
You may start planning to go in one direction & find to be sucessfull it will point you elsewhere, causing you lots of frustration.
Its a great biz but takes serious commitment.
As you stated & you are correct the industries equipment , & tech changes quickly forcing your biz to stay productive & current with tech, unless you find a true niche and aren't looking for instant results.
I'm not trying to waiver you just warning you it can be very hard to run a sucessful sign biz unless you have experience of some sort, or people to run the ship who have that experience, & will stick with you!
good luck
& have fun, its a wild ride!