• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing banners with an sp-300

frmdstryr

Someone wants me to print a banner 12' by 24" banner. They want it to be charcoal gray (20c 0m 0y 10k) and the text will be light sky blue (0c 0m 0y 80k). Is it possible to do this by getting a charcoal grey banner? As far as I know versacamm's dont print white, so how can this be done (printing a lighter color than the substrate)? Do i need to get a white banner and just print it grey? If so that's going to use a ton of ink.... not?

Thanks!

amw

Longtime Members
Just print the gray ...
or get a gray banner and a cut out blue vinyl (text) to put on the banner.

Marsha

frmdstryr

Okay, thanks. I've never done a banner before. Do you recommend getting a banner with grommets? It's for outdoor use like once a year. Single sided. Should i get a roll or a pre cut banner?

chopper

you have two choices.....
1... buy a banner that is the gray color you desire, cut letters from sky blue vinyl and apply the letters to the banner.

2... use a printable banner material, print the gray background and the sky blue letters on said banner, apply grommets etc if desired...

//chopper

as chopper says.. good advice.
if you have never done banners before i'm guessing you don't really know whats involved?? if you go the printed route then you will need to hem the banner using either banner tape or stitching(you can use a heat app too). you will also need to grommet the banner every 2 ft or so. to do this you need the right tool for grommeting. printing it is the easy part!
second choice is buying a pre hemmed and grommeted banner in the color choice you want and applying the sky blue material over that. just make sure you get the right weight for out door use.

tomence

as chopper says.. good advice.
if you have never done banners before i'm guessing you don't really know whats involved?? if you go the printed route then you will need to hem the banner using either banner tape or stitching(you can use a heat app too). you will also need to grommet the banner every 2 ft or so. to do this you need the right tool for grommeting. printing it is the easy part!
second choice is buying a pre hemmed and grommeted banner in the color choice you want and applying the sky blue material over that. just make sure you get the right weight for out door use.

What's a right weight for outside?

chopper

What's a right weight for outside?
this depends on where you live and how long you want it to last,
usually 10 oz. material on up I usually use 13 oz. material at the minimum...
I am sure there are other here that do a lot more banners than I do. that can break it down better,
//chopper

JESSE WALKER

Okay, thanks. I've never done a banner before. Do you recommend getting a banner with grommets? It's for outdoor use like once a year. Single sided. Should i get a roll or a pre cut banner?
Just make sure you dont run a banner with grommets through your printer please!

frmdstryr

Why not use one with grommets? I've been watching how to's on youtube and the guy there is using one with grommets.

Flame

Ok, so I take it you are extremely new to the sign business?

I'll try to take it easy on ya but you can't run a grommeted banner through a printer. One good headstrike and you're looking at $3000 to fix it. Really want to try the risk?

And printing full bleed on a banner is really no issue, it's not using "that much" ink, no more than a full bleed decal. So unless you priced the job horribly you shouldn't even feel the impact of using more ink for a full bleed.

Just buy blank 13oz media, print, trim, hem with banner tape, and grommet every 2-3'.

outside we usually do 13oz.....and yeah, don't run a pre grommeted banner through your printer!! if you get a head strike your looking at alot of money for a new head!!! not worth the hassle!