Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

printing banners with an sp-300

Discussion in 'Roland' started by frmdstryr, Jul 20, 2010.

1. frmdstryr

frmdstryr Member

May 11, 2010
    Someone wants me to print a banner 12' by 24" banner. They want it to be charcoal gray (20c 0m 0y 10k) and the text will be light sky blue (0c 0m 0y 80k). Is it possible to do this by getting a charcoal grey banner? As far as I know versacamm's dont print white, so how can this be done (printing a lighter color than the substrate)? Do i need to get a white banner and just print it grey? If so that's going to use a ton of ink.... not?

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    It is not gonna use lot of ink, and it is only 12x24

3. amw

amw Member

Just print the gray ...
    or get a gray banner and a cut out blue vinyl (text) to put on the banner.

Marsha

4. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    It would be cheaper to print the gray background than to order a gray banner.

5. frmdstryr

frmdstryr Member

May 11, 2010
    Okay, thanks. I've never done a banner before. Do you recommend getting a banner with grommets? It's for outdoor use like once a year. Single sided. Should i get a roll or a pre cut banner?

6. tomence

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    Whatever suits you, you can go either way.

7. frmdstryr

frmdstryr Member

May 11, 2010
    Opinions? I'm clueless. What are my options? Thanks!

8. chopper

chopper Very Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Big Lake MN
    you have two choices.....
    1... buy a banner that is the gray color you desire, cut letters from sky blue vinyl and apply the letters to the banner.

2... use a printable banner material, print the gray background and the sky blue letters on said banner, apply grommets etc if desired...

//chopper

9. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    as chopper says.. good advice.
    if you have never done banners before i'm guessing you don't really know whats involved?? if you go the printed route then you will need to hem the banner using either banner tape or stitching(you can use a heat app too). you will also need to grommet the banner every 2 ft or so. to do this you need the right tool for grommeting. printing it is the easy part!
    second choice is buying a pre hemmed and grommeted banner in the color choice you want and applying the sky blue material over that. just make sure you get the right weight for out door use.

10. tomence

Feb 10, 2009
    IL

What's a right weight for outside?

11. chopper

chopper Very Active Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Big Lake MN
    this depends on where you live and how long you want it to last,
    usually 10 oz. material on up I usually use 13 oz. material at the minimum...
    I am sure there are other here that do a lot more banners than I do. that can break it down better,
    //chopper

12. JESSE WALKER

JESSE WALKER Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Just make sure you dont run a banner with grommets through your printer please!

13. CL Graphics

CL Graphics Active Member

Feb 24, 2007
    yeah what jesse said.

14. frmdstryr

frmdstryr Member

May 11, 2010
    Why not use one with grommets? I've been watching how to's on youtube and the guy there is using one with grommets.

15. Fivestar

Fivestar Member

Aug 7, 2009
    One word..... Headstrike......or is that 2 words..... Head Strike.

16. frmdstryr

frmdstryr Member

May 11, 2010
  17. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    Ok, so I take it you are extremely new to the sign business?

I'll try to take it easy on ya but you can't run a grommeted banner through a printer. One good headstrike and you're looking at $3000 to fix it. Really want to try the risk?

And printing full bleed on a banner is really no issue, it's not using "that much" ink, no more than a full bleed decal. So unless you priced the job horribly you shouldn't even feel the impact of using more ink for a full bleed.

Just buy blank 13oz media, print, trim, hem with banner tape, and grommet every 2-3'.

18. gnatt66

gnatt66 Active Member

Oct 31, 2007
    NH
    key banner from Grimco, print it, powertape and/or hem tape and grommets. easy money.

19. tomence

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    13oz UltraFlex from Fellers is what i use.

20. rushworks graphics

rushworks graphics Very Active Member

Jun 29, 2010
    outside we usually do 13oz.....and yeah, don't run a pre grommeted banner through your printer!! if you get a head strike your looking at alot of money for a new head!!! not worth the hassle!