• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing not crisp...

graphix28

what's up guys, having an issue with me vp300.. when printing black it doesn't print very clean looking.. it leaves small "fuzzy" lines but I have cleaned this thing a lot and still doing it.. think it could be the print head?

rjssigns

Bad roll of material
Dirty encoder strip
Static
Environmental conditions: Heat, Humidity, Air Flow
Need to do a manual cleaning with swabs
Head height

You may want to check for an errant piece of fuzz hitching a ride by the heads. Had that happen a couple times and it caused print issues. Funny thing is the piece of whatever was extremely small.

graphix28

yes, I have dogs and I have to clean around the heads quite often.. but I cleaned them twice last night and did a powerful clean today, still a little "fuzzy" when printing the black. I will post a test print. thank you!

J

john1

Sounds like static OR a dirty encoder strip. The encoder strip is that clear ribbon running the length of the machine above the pinch rollers. It doesn't seem to get dirty by the naked eye but you could try cleaning it.

I notice sometimes when i don't have the heat settings on the print high enough i get some static also but since upping the heaters to 112 it prints real crisp, even on high speed mode.

Try some different profiles also and don't forget to adjust your bi-directional calibration correctly. You can find out how to do this in the menu settings and or manual.

Last edited by a moderator:

graphix28

Wow, thanks John the encoder strip was pretty dirty. (that is the stainless metal piece bolted above the rollers right?) I am posting a test print.

petepaz

Bad roll of material
Dirty encoder strip
Static
Environmental conditions: Heat, Humidity, Air Flow
Need to do a manual cleaning with swabs
Head height

You may want to check for an errant piece of fuzz hitching a ride by the heads. Had that happen a couple times and it caused print issues. Funny thing is the piece of whatever was extremely small.

any one or all of these could be the issue and all easy to resolve

graphix28

Attachments

• pt.jpg
    pt.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited by a moderator:

rjssigns

Lots of drops and deflection on the K. Might want to gently dab that head with a saturated swab, then wipe down the wipers with the same swab. Then fill the capping station with cleaning solution and park it for a few minutes. Follow with a powerful cleaning, and another test print.

My SP540V has been put through the wringer and the K head is still good. Nothing like what you are showing.

Last thing is if you are using a 3rd party ink. You may have nozzle clogging due to variations in pigment particle size.

graphix28

still printing and the black isn't printing as much coverage as the other spot colors.. anyone have any idea what I can try??

graphix28

I've noticed when only printing black it doesn't lay it down as heavy or thick as it use to. This is frustrating any help is greatly appreciated

J

john1

At this point i would call a Roland tech and ask them about it.

Beacon Graphics in Jersey is the closest one i know of.