• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on 3M High Intensity Reflective

dwarrior

This is about what we are getting when we print. 2011-09-27 13.12.04.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have you looked at one at nighttime with headlights ??

Place that sample you posted on a stick in a dimly lit alley. Drive up the alley and see if you can read it.

If you can, you half of the battle won.

gnemmas

Gino's point is similar to printing back-lit films, if we don't do it properly, the look is totally different when it lights up.

SqueeGee

I'd say you got three options:

1. Keep doing what you're doing. (Doesn't meet specs and you can't print it.)

2. Print it on clear, laminate it and apply that to the HI. (Doesn't meet specs but you should have no problem printing it.)

3. Outsource to a company that does this type of work (Will meet specs. and you can start printing something else.)

Good luck!

andy

I'd say you got three options:

1. Keep doing what you're doing. (Doesn't meet specs and you can't print it.)

2. Print it on clear, laminate it and apply that to the HI. (Doesn't meet specs but you should have no problem printing it.)

3. Outsource to a company that does this type of work (Will meet specs. and you can start printing something else.)

Good luck!

Good points....

Here in the UK there is only one way to manufacture highway signage... the way the Ministry of Transport regulations tell you.

Font, character size, kerning, colours, production methods, aluminium grades, reverse power coating colour, post specification and BS EN numbers. You name it and it's laid out in the regulations in anally retentive detail.

If you want to print highway signs it makes sense to consult the regulations first... printing might not even be an approved manufacturing method in which case your products won't be accepted even if they look correct.

This is all a lot easier over here because there is absolutely no regional deviation allowed... the regulations apply everywhere. This also applies to emergency service vehicles which are all fitted with reflective high vis graphics regulated to Home Office approved designs, materials and production methods.

Before you waste a lot of time and money have a quick look at the regs.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I don't think it should be a sticky, everyone that I have had to advise on, that tried to digital print actual MUTCD compliant traffic signs on retroreflective has failed to make a compliant, colorfast sign. Most shops that do this are specialty shops, they usually have direct contact with a 3M rep who can guide them with their options or with any new technology. Designers who specialize in the design of it go through that route too. If you are experimenting, then your going to find yourself in a long line of others who have tried to reinvent this process and failed, some miserably.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try, but ask the material company who is backing the product, in this case 3M. And be prepared to take the hit if the sign fades prematurely or the clear film delaminates.

StarSign

If you are going to get into the traffic sign end of things it needs to be all or nothing. When it comes to the MUTCD there is alot to learn.

MikePro

I haven't had issues printing on anything that wasn't "solvent printable".
you just gotta dial up the heat, and print slower with more passes than you're used to.

otherwise, to make it easier...
print on clear and laminate onto the reflective.
easy 'nuff.

nuts to the regulation comments, you don't need to follow the same standards as highway signage as you do for Holiday Inn campus identity/wayfinding signage.

StarSign

If its a traffic sign it MUST conform to the MUTCD. It dosen't matter where it is going public or private ALL traffic signs must comform.

Rick

If this sign is being used for some private wayfinding/identity, not on a public road that only directs or is part of a graphic. Than it is not required to be MUTCD compliant.

But private roads and parking areas do have MUTCD and ADA signs that are required to be compliant. (stop signs, accessible parking, fire safety)

Ooops, hit the post button too quick... a lot of malls in my area are starting to follow general MUTCD guidelines because some people are suing for lame items, and I have had to redesign private property wayfinding to MUTCD standards but they still have custom elements to them.

gnemmas

When you got ticketed, what is the first defense you try to come out with?

" sign is not properly posted, or not legible ".

When you are in an highway accident, law suit flies. You don't want to be a part of it.

Rick

When you got ticketed, what is the first defense you try to come out with?

" sign is not properly posted, or not legible ".

When you are in an highway accident, law suit flies. You don't want to be a part of it.

It was actually, someone tripped on a concrete wheel stop, and then someone noticed that the original accessible signs were not to compliant. One particular client decided to make everything compliant due to liability issues after an insurance audit.

If you have noticed, most parking lots no longer have concrete wheel stops in So Cal.