• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing on chrome vinyl? how

Browner

I print Gerber chrome (silver medal) foils on black vinyl...and the finished truck rolled out of my parking lot at 2:15..
I was under the assumption that the GSM (Medal) Series of foils was for INDOOR use only. :help:

Have you done some "field testing" that would indicate otherwise?

A good customer of mine was willing to be my guinea pig for this stuff on some graphics for his van... but that was only a couple of weeks ago.

graphixtogo

We have no trouble with our Mutoh seeing the chrome, how ever, the tape trick for the ploter..... I just tried it and it works great, thanks for that.

Glad the tape trick works for you! It's much easier than putting strips of tape along the edges of the reg mark.

Out of curiosity, which Mutoh do you have? Mine is the VJ 1604. When I try to load chrome, it gives an error almost very time. Tech support told me about the auto initialize trick to make it work. They also said you could put a piece of white tape on both sides of the material on the black strip under the printhead. This black strip is what is read to recognize the media width. The chrome keeps the sensor from seeing the contrast between the black strip and the material. Putting the tape on there adds the contrast back in.

rcboats1

We also have a 1604. I have put all kinds of different reflective and chromes in it and have not yet had a problem with it finding them. Now that I say that I will have a problem, and I have a new order for more chrome decals to do, hmmmmmmm.

Gene@mpls

I was under the assumption that the GSM (Medal) Series of foils was for INDOOR use only. :help:

A good customer of mine was willing to be my guinea pig for this stuff on some graphics for his van... but that was only a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Chris- I have a gerber silvermetal printed logo on my front door (faces south
with no shade- but this is Mn) for over 2 years and it still looks as applied. I
did laminate it with GMS 1mil lam though. Gene

Flame

Sad to see no one has thought of using manual registration marks.

Set blade at mark 1, press enter.

Set blade at mark 2, press enter.

Push cut.

Done.

:p

Pro Image

Sad to see no one has thought of using manual registration marks.

Set blade at mark 1, press enter.

Set blade at mark 2, press enter.

Push cut.

Done.

:p

My set-up doesn't use manual marks.........Have you seen the Mutoh box registration? Its all automatic with the Mutoh cutter I have......

Mike Paul

Super Active Member

I've printed on the R-tape Vinyl efx film with the Gerber Gold Medal foil and it was good for about 2 years with a clearcoat.

petepaz

VinylFX from R-Tape, they have a bunch of printable metallics and other specialty inkjet films.

this would be the stuff i have done it alot with my roland
material isn't cheap but works good
also make sure you check which material you get one is made specifically for outdoor use one is not

Color Dude

The question is...do you have to cut this after you print it. If so, good luck gettin' the plotter eye to find the crop marks. I tried printing on something really shiny once, forget what it was...but the stupid plotter couldn't find the marks for the life of it.

If you ever run into this problem just put a piece of scotch tape over the marks, this will difuse the shiny enough for the reg. eye to find the marks.