• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on clear vinyl with white?

Jim Hill

I have a customer who wants a decal made that will be installed on the inside of a car window and he showed me a simple of the type of decal he was talking about.

It appears to be printed on clear vinyl but my question is there is white in the simple he showed me so I am thinking this was a screen process and not done with a printer.

Any other ideas on how to make the exact same thing but using a Roland Versacamm instead?

I have thought about just making the image and then contour cutting a clear and applying over the top of the vinyl with something like an 1/8" larger then the decal to make it stick to the inside of the glass.

Jim Hill

petepaz

if your printer doesn't print white you will not be able to do what you want. you can try printing on clear and then apply a contour cut of vinyl to back it up but it depends on how many also how much detail in the graphic. you need to screen print, gerber print or find someone with a printer with white ink

Custom_Grafx

+1 gerber

There are wide formats with white ink too but for that size/nature of sticker, the gerber is perfect - the quality is great.

2B

If you don't have white ink, guessing CMYK, why not do an a really light colored grey as your background/base color then print your graphics to that. the light grey will be more acceptable to the the colors that are being placed on it

Bill Modzel

Three options. Reverse cut white vinyl, white print on Gerber Edge or screen print.
Some of the newer inkjets print white also but I haven't seen output yet so I can't comment on them.

2B

Any other ideas on how to make the exact same thing but using a Roland Versacamm instead?

light gray is just little black dots...how will that help?

Jim asked how to do it on a VersaCamm, this was the suggestion for a machine that is not running white ink.

neutral "light" grey is not going to distract from the image/artwork, where white, if brilliant or glossy, can by light refraction.
whitesmoke cmyk(0%, 0%, 0%, 4%)
This is the reason why most art gallerias do not do pure white, making sure the image/artwork stands out from the background

if you don't like the term grey or the fact it is only K code then you can switch to snow cmyk(0%, 2%, 2%, 0%)

either one can be done the VersaCamm running CMYK

J Hill Designs

yeah but IMO it will do nothing for an interior mount print on clear...thats all I was saying...adding MY instead of K changes nothing.

MikePro

+1. black/"grey" on clear does nothing but "tint".
windows are tinted, even if the slightest amount, and negates any "halftone-grey" you may be speaking of.

here's a freebie:
reverse print on clear, laminate with white vinyl (or frosted vinyl, if you care to keep a hint of transparency), and apply to inside of window.

:peace!: my $0.02 :peace!:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Or just Edge print it and be done with it. That, or screen printing it, will give you the only final result you'll be happy with.