Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing on metal help

Discussion in 'Flatbed Printers' started by sbruno, Feb 13, 2013.

1. sbruno

sbruno New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    I have a Colorspan Displaymaker 72 UVR and i am trying to print black on a thin Alluminum but the color is coming out as a light shade or tinted a lil brown any help on how to correct this problem would be greatly appreiciated

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA................................

3. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    You need to precoat your aluminum. Here it is: inkaid.com Works like as charm.

4. sbruno

sbruno New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    even if its a brushed material

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    have you tried to doublestrike the ink?

6. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    we use vinyl coated alum for the thin gauge stuff (.003 and .005)
    you can get it from lawrence and frederick

7. rubo

rubo Member

Aug 4, 2011
    glendale ca
    Yop.

8. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    black pigment when thinned down will usually have a warm or cool cast (has to do with the type of black pigment). if it's transparent or brownish, that's just because it's too thin of a coat. bump up your density or to a double / triple strike.

9. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    What are the CMYK values for your black? Your profile might be making some weird rich black color that looks fine on white substrates but turns to doo doo. 20/20/20/100 should yield an opaque black on that machine.

Can you post a picture of what it's doing?

10. sbruno

sbruno New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    thank you guys but to leave some feed back on it. i am printing directly onto the material. it prints black fine on non metal materials.

(Rubo) This printer has pinted on this material befor without a precoat of anysort and it printed it perfectly fine. We have had a few issues with the printer within the last few weeks so Im not sure on that.

(jhilldesigns) what do you meen by double striking the ink just to clarify thats all. i am really new with this kind of stuff so please excuse me on asking.

(Petepaz) the same thing that i have said to Rubo that this printer has done it before. Could have the material changed as to why its not working?

(Artbot) how would i up the density on this machine to try it out and like i said to Jhilldesigns i am still new at this so could you please clarify what a double strike means.

(Omgsideburns) How would i be able to check that on this machine and how would i change it since i am still new to this machine.

Thank you all again i hope you are all still there fallowing this and still willing to help me out with this thank you

11. RyanFelty

RyanFelty Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    We use sericol for better adhesion...also a double hit of ink with the black to make increase the density of ink allowing no transparancy. Hope this might help!

12. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    double strike, also called overprinting. somewhere in your rip will be the option to overprint described in some way. the printer will print 2 to 8 times over the same point before advancing. the CET strangely triple fires instead of making consecutive passes. maybe this is the same for all konica printers?

13. sbruno

sbruno New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Ok i got it to work with the over print and running it at the darkest setting i possibly could on the printer.

Thank you all for your help and advice.