Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing on Solvent Printer

Discussion in 'Screen Printing' started by lucasdowden, Aug 29, 2016.

1. lucasdowden

lucasdowden Member

Feb 3, 2014
    KCMO
    I have a Mutoh 1204 and I am trying to print transparencies for screen printing. It seems my black isn't black enough, is there anyway to make my printer drop down more ink or has someone created a new profile I could use?

Tags:
  2. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Never had good luck with my big printer. I use a 300$ desktop epson printer and 13"x19" film from tubelite. Their house brand. Setting for matte paper at quality level. Plenty dark. Image does not have to be SOLID black. On a commercial exposure unit using flourescent unfiltered blacklights 4.5 minutes does the trick. For halftones you will need a single point light source for best results with a much faster exposure.

3. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    Use a rich black. bump up your black to be C 50 M 50 Y 50 K 100

but yes the other poster is correct. your better off buying am old HP5000 laser toner printer and use casey's transparencies sheets.

4. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    I have seen a roland printer that was converted to print films but we never had any luck printing films with the standard cmyk solvent printers. We have an epson 4880 converted to all black ink we use that to print our films for silk screening. Works great

5. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

We use an Epson Artisan 1430 with all black cartridges and AccuRip sofftware. It's a little over the top, but it's fool proof. We use 13" x 19" transparencies from Ryonet.

6. lucasdowden

lucasdowden Member

Feb 3, 2014
    KCMO
    Will laser printers work? I heard inkjet was the only way to go.

7. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Yes they will - but you have to use the right material. We printed from a laser onto vellum instead of transparency material.

8. zarfins

zarfins New Member

Nov 2, 2016
    I was at SGIA last month and I saw that Epson has a screen kit now for one of their printers. The screens and quality looks pretty good and it was just a little over 1k with a warranty.. Im waiting on my samples and im thinking of replacing my old POS machine...

zar