• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on styrene with my Roland

nj3dguy

Hi folks!

Im new to the forum and this is my first post. I just joined a shop here in Houston after 8 years in motion graphics design for television.

I did 15 years in the sign biz before my tv carreer...you name it; I designed it, built it and installed it.... and now Im back!

(cue scary music)

We have a Roland SolJet Pro II V, printer/cutter mdel SC-545EX. My super wants to bid on a job of a 200 to 500 run.

The client says his previous sign provider printed these full color digital images on styrene .020 (might be .010)

This sounds odd to me. It seems like it would be a risk to print head damage and it would be difficult to keep it lined up in the printer.

Not to mention the color variation. I doubt the colors would print correctly, it would be like printing an a sponge.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts and direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Regards, Chris

ChicagoGraphics

Theres a printable rigid pvc they sell that works great on our Mimaki dont know if it will work on a Roland
They carry it @ Grimco.com Its worth a look

gabagoo

Tell me more about this printable PVC. Is it a thick material? What are the outdoor attributes.. Enquiring minds want to know lol

thewood

We've toiled with printing on styrene with our Mimaki for years and finally gave up. I located a corona-treated .015 styrene that comes in 60" rolls, but I couldn't ever get it dialed in. I was always fighting head strikes. Sometimes, I could output a nice-looking print, but withing minutes the ink would "soak in" and result in a washed-out look. It is so easyto print on vinyl and mount to styrene with the laminator that I gave up!

ChicagoGraphics

We print on the PVC often and never have trouble getting the colours right or had any problems with ink soaking in. Hmmmm maybe thats what colour management is for and a good rip station LOL

thewood

We print on the PVC often and never have trouble getting the colours right or had any problems with ink soaking in. Hmmmm maybe thats what colour management is for and a good rip station LOL

I haven't tried printing on rigid pvc--only on .015 styrene like my post stated. I was responding to the original poster who inquired about printing on styrene. As for the unrelated barbs regarding my RIP station and color management practices--are you intentionally starting sh*t with me or are you a complete douche to everyone you come in contact with?

Kenny

nj3dguy - Welcome to the forum...I'm curious about printing on styrene myself.

mwoodson44 - you owe me a DrPepper and a keyboard...:Big Laugh

ChicagoGraphics

mwoodson44.....My post wasnt for you, it was for nj3dguy, and I know he was talking about styrene. I was just mentioning theres a PVC thats printable for inkjets that could be used as a subsitute.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from Oklahoma!

:Welcome: to :signs101:
I never had any luck with styrene. Save the head from striks and print a sticker and apply. Happy hunting!​

nj3dguy

All great info. Thanks for the welcome. yes, we decided it want a feasable option, thanks to all the great info.

Thanks again, ta, Chris

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We're having really good results on the PV 200 Flatbed with the styrene. Being careful with lamp strength on the thinner .020 stuff...but .040 & .060 is printing very nicely.

Welcome from Dirty Jerz!

petepaz

i would print on the vinyl and laminate to the styrene
a little more work but you don't have to worry about damage to the print head $$$$$$$
i have found some 12 mil rigid intelicoat products that work pretty good