• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

printing onto aluminum - whats your machine?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I will check to see what inks the printer would be using.
I see you do UV flatbed too? What are you seeing for longevity on direct to painted aluminum?
Yes, we have a U/V flatbed. We've had signs outside for almost 10 years now and still look good, while others have only lasted 2 or 3 years. As mentioned, the way the sign faces is a major contributor for longevity of the inks, but as someone else pointed out..... different manufactures also seem to be a problem.

If you want long term, don't use any flatbed on the market today for outdoor signs regardless wood, aluminum, PVC, acrylic or whatever. You cannot depend on all the variables.

skyhigh

I'm amazed how you guys are getting 10 years outdoors with screen print.
Nazdar is guaranteeing 2 year for the 59000 and the step above 8900 inks (thermal baked) at only 4-5 year.

What your secret?

ps. I understand a guarantee may only be until we have some slight fading, yet still may look good. Even at that, an outdoor sign they suggest (using the 8900) will only look decent for perhaps 5-6 years with their clear coat.

Last edited:

PB33064

We've been printing to baked on enamel coated aluminum for years and other than red, the ink will last at least 10 years. Reds will fade a little sooner. The trick is, not to use multi-purpose inks like the 9700 series. I believe it's the 59000 series which will be your inbk for this project.

See, years ago, when screening, you hadda have several series of blacks, reds, blues and so on.... according to what you were printing on. They came out with this multi purpose ink which will work across the board, except for textiles, but you gave up longevity for less stock on hand.

It's different today with all the methods of producing these things, but if you get the correct ink for the correct substrate, you'll be fine.

I've been reading everything I can fine on the subject. I'm really getting frustrated with the idea. Almost.
Gino what am I missing here? Mind taking a look at this article and give me your opinion? Are we all talking the same process?
Does your supplier offer a "baked enamel coated aluminum" specific to the screen printing process?

https://www.nazdar.com/Portals/0/NewsItems/Articles/screen_print_for_metal.pdf