Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing Photos with Versaworks & VP 540

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by Jake112, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Jake112

Jake112 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Denver, NC
    Any help with settings for printing pictures true to there colors. Customers supplied photos from I phone or photoshop. Colors are way off. Blues are purple etc. I have tried different settings can not get close.I print pictures from my personal camera with no trouble.

Tags:
  2. TXFB.INS

TXFB.INS Very Active Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Lone Star State
    if from phone will be too low on DPI,

if from photoshop and blues are turning purple sounds like they are doing the colors in RGB and then you are printing CYMK

3. 4R Graphics

4R Graphics Active Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Yes sounds like there is a issue with formats if you are printing photos best to use and RGB input profile (most rips do this by default) and use perceptual render intent this will help with colors that you can not print due to CMYK ink.

Also if you have a file with a SRGB profile embbeded and you use a different input profile such as adobe rgb1998 you will have color differences also.

Do a search on color managment here on the forum there is alot to it.

4. JoshLoring

JoshLoring Very Active Member

The first problem is customer expectation... There is no way any printer can match the exact brightness and vibrancy of a retina display ultra bright screen.
    Once you get past that.. Convert to your print profile or lab color and try "auto color" from Ps. You can also manually adjust the curves. It's going to take some play but you'll need ps work as its not going to be a simple click and print. A standard desktop printer won't match them without adjustments.

5. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Profiles.
    Unless you are printing pictures with extreme colours like flowers you should get decent results. if the colors are off you need to look at the colorspace and profiles.
    I usually flip images to CMYK before the rip. My headspace is CMYK and I find it easier to adjust tones that way. Most often I leave it on pre-press-US or japan if I want a slight boost in warmth.
    Then its just the right profile and the right material.