• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Shiny (Glossy) on Matte paper

lora

I hope everyone is doing great.
I printed a wall mural for a customer, and got back a feedback that it is too shiny. It does indeed looks shiny, even though I printed it on Avery Denisson MPI 2611 Matte finish. Printed on Epson S40600.
Any body experiences the same issue?
Thanks

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I’d probably just use a cheap Matt overlam. But then again that’s likely because I use a Colorado 1640 and the only way to get Matt prints is to leave them white lol

lora

I’d probably just use a cheap Matt overlam. But then again that’s likely because I use a Colorado 1640 and the only way to get Matt prints is to leave them white lol
That's the reason I didn't buy 1640: I was gonna do that purchase, but at the very last second I found out they print glossy only. With Epson I never heard they have glossy inks...that would be huge surprise...I do interiors only, so I don't do lamination.

lora

Use a roller to apply Marabu ClearShield Matte Liquid Laminate to the install. It's a common remedy. Test a swatch first.
I will consider that, thanks.
I have multiple samples of General Formulations with Matte canvas, fabric and smooth matte finish, and they all have shine on it. Does it mean that matte finish will not be completely matte, unless laminated? Or there are some tricks in Photoshop, Illustrator , RIP, or with actual printer that can be adjusted to achieve a full Matte effect?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Even on our Latex machines matte vinyl has a sheen of some sort on all matte vinyls. If we truly need a dead flat, we laminate either with marabu for banners and such or film for any other roll stocks.

unclebun

Customer expectation was wrong. Your print is exactly as would be expected with matte vinyl. Best way around this is before starting the job--show them a sample of an actual piece of printed vinyl. Best to have a sample on your glossiest glossy vinyl as well, so they can see the comparison of what is available. As far as I know there is no dead dull matte product available. And if it were, the problem would be that it would wear smooth with even light touch, and look uneven. And they probably would also complain that the colors are dull and the contrast is poor.

At this point with the mural already installed I would first try to show them that this is indeed matte vinyl by showing them samples of gloss material, and that they did get what they asked for. Failing that, you could then paint it with a matte liquid overlam. But that opens up a whole 'nother set of potential complaints.

CanuckSigns

We have an S80600 so the same ink as you, when we print on matte material the end result is matte, however there can be a slight sheen difference between light and heavy coverage areas, perhaps this is what the client is seeing? the only solution for this is to apply a laminate over the print.

MikePro

its my understanding that ALL inks print "glossy".... its the nature of a liquid's surface tension being laid onto a surface.
lamination is what determines your finish, unless your printer has the ability to print clear atop your color.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Yeah even the Colorado 1650 that can print either Matt or gloss uses the same ink for both finishes.

It’s just how quickly they cure the dots that changes I believe (the heads move in tandem for Matt, instantly pinning the dots)

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
its my understanding that ALL inks print "glossy".... its the nature of a liquid's surface tension being laid onto a surface.
lamination is what determines your finish, unless your printer has the ability to print clear atop your color.
It may help you to know there is plenty of media available in a truly dull, matte finish which requires no lamination at all, especially for interior wall decor / murals. It's the coating, not the ink.

lora

It may help you to know there is plenty of media available in a truly dull, matte finish which requires no lamination at all, especially for interior wall decor / murals. It's the coating, not the ink.
Can you name couple of them please?

lora

We have an S80600 so the same ink as you, when we print on matte material the end result is matte, however there can be a slight sheen difference between light and heavy coverage areas, perhaps this is what the client is seeing? the only solution for this is to apply a laminate over the print.
I attached the picture from customer.

Attachments

• icm_fullxfull.303501439_1ji293rs12m880ww4g80.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.303501439_1ji293rs12m880ww4g80.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 173

Bly

Even matte lams will have a bit of a sheen.
We had to do some test targets for a film studio and they rejected everything as too glossy until we showed them Colorado 1650 matte print on a matte vinyl.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Can you name couple of them please?
Google Korographics wallpaper, FiberMaker / Converd wallpaper, Phototex wallpaper, Breathing Color Décor Matte Canvas. These are at least some brands. They all have various varieties, etc. A matte coating will have a significant "tooth" or, especially in the case of Phototex fabric, an actual texture which does not reflect highlights.

Good luck.

Different inksets tend to have different gloss levels. Many, if not most eco-solvent inksets have relatively high gloss. Most UV inks have very low gloss. The Canon Colorado 1650 UVgel can deliver either a gloss or matte finish based on the type of cure. HP Latex inks take on the appearance of the substrate, appearing more glossy on a gloss media, and more matte on a matte substrate.

Colorcrest is also correct in that there are many distinct classes of wallcovering. Some are pressure-sensitive SAV (including the Avery MPI 2611), others are ASTM F793 Type II smooth or embossed that need to be traditionally pasted. Still others are non-woven or woven, either water-activated, pressure-sensitive, or traditionally pasted medias. PhotoTex is a polyester fabric with pressure-sensitive adhesive. Each has a place in the market. If you are looking to target the self-install consumer market, both water-activated and pressure-sensitive options are a great choice and are widely-used. For commercial applications, Type II fabric-backed wallpapers installed by a professional wallpaper hanger is a common practice.

Understand your market and make media choices based on their expectations, requirements and capabilities.

Good luck

MikePro

citing textured/fiberous media as an example why the ink doesn't present a glossy sheen on various media, is a horse of a different color....and they still require lamination to protect the ink from being scratched off or clients wiping it off with a bit of solvent cleaner.

plenty of times in the past, i've "gotten away" without liquid laminating my wallcovering solvent prints BUT it only takes that one-time, when you install a mural on a college campus and their cleaning minions wipe the surface with some isopropyl and smear your print, to make you reconsider adding lamination to projects people can put their hands-on.