• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing Shiny (Glossy) on Matte paper

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Different inksets tend to have different gloss levels. Many, if not most eco-solvent inksets have relatively high gloss.
An example of satin vs matte coating using the same eco-solv machine and ink in a mixed lighting environment.

Satin_Matte.jpg

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
citing textured/fiberous media as an example why the ink doesn't present a glossy sheen on various media, is a horse of a different color....and they still require lamination to protect the ink from being scratched off or clients wiping it off with a bit of solvent cleaner.
I'm guessing many might be surprised of the amount of square footage of large format graphics on display is not laminated in any way, yet get typical janitorial maintenance.

An example of satin vs matte coating using the same eco-solv machine and ink in a mixed lighting environment.

The original poster is printing to a non-textured, matte SAV wallcovering media (Avery MPI 2611), and his customer is complaining about the glossiness of the eco-solvent ink being used. This issue is referred to as gloss differential, and it can be a problem with decor applications like wallcoverings. Many current eco-solvent inksets are developed for (and mostly used for) display applications like signage, where high gloss and color 'pop' are widely perceived to be beneficial for sign and display applications.

Those same ink properties can be more problematic in decor applications like wallcoverings, depending on the media being used. Use of laminates (film or liquid) would be the only recourse in cases where gloss differential is objectionable to the end-user. Different inksets will also show varying amounts of abrasion/ scratch resistance and resistance to chemical breakdown. All of these should be taken into consideration by the sign company, based on the unique requirements of the project.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The original poster is printing to a non-textured, matte SAV wallcovering media (Avery MPI 2611), and his customer is complaining about the glossiness of the eco-solvent ink being used. This issue is referred to as gloss differential, and it can be a problem with decor applications like wallcoverings.
The OP's posted image does not show signs of gloss differential. The sheen exhibits no difference in the darks or lights of the tree branch.

The attached image is an example of gloss differential, in this case, due to over-inking upon initial RIP setup.
example_Gloss_Differential.jpg

The sheen exhibits no difference in the darks or lights of the tree branch.

I might suggest that you take a more critical look at the image posted by the OP in post 16 - specifically in the dark browns and black areas of the image, compared with the lighter pastel colors. There is a significant amount of gloss that is visible only in the more heavily inked areas in the image, versus the more lightly inked areas, with vastly more gloss than un-inked areas.

Moreover, the gloss variance was enough to warrant an objection from the end-user.

Last edited:

lora

Thank you guys for all your inputs.
I will try to switch from smooth vinyl to fabric, and will see if it will eliminate the issue.
Also a tech from Grimco suggested to use just General Matte profile downloading from Edge Dashboard.

lora

Here is another instance of how shiny (glossy) my S40600 prints are even with Key Banner Matte media profile, suggested by Grimco Tech (pictures attached). Also it seems like the inks are not infused in the media, instead they seat on top of it: is it normal with Eco-Solvent inks (I am not really familiar with technology behind it)? I get that Eco-Solvent inks have some shine on it, but should be that bad? Or this just me already exaggerating the issue?

Attachments

• IMG_3566.jpg
    IMG_3566.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3567.jpg
    IMG_3567.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3568.jpg
    IMG_3568.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 92

unclebun

To fix the ink limits you would have to redo the profile. Do you have the equipment necessary to make a profile?

lora

To fix the ink limits you would have to redo the profile. Do you have the equipment necessary to make a profile?
I am printing on Avery Dennison 2611: used 6 pass profile for this media, then switch to Key Banner Matte profile and getting the same results. I don't have the equipment to redo the profile. What could cause those limits to go too high or low?
Thank you

lora

We have an S80600 so the same ink as you, when we print on matte material the end result is matte, however there can be a slight sheen difference between light and heavy coverage areas, perhaps this is what the client is seeing? the only solution for this is to apply a laminate over the print.
What Matte material you printed on? If you don’t mind sharing.