• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing yellow on reflective

leeanng

I am trying to print pantone 130 (yellow) on some 3M reflective vinyl. and i cant seem to match the color. There isn't a lot of ink going down for this color and darker colors seem to be matching the pantone swatches.

I think its because the reflective material isn't white

any suggestions??

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'd say that's exactly why.
You might be able to hit that color through trial and error, or do it the right way and create a media profile on your printer.

Yellow is the lightest and most translucent of the non-light inks. This means you get a lot of the gray coming through. You hit your other colors because they are much darker and more semi-opaque. As the previous person said. Make a profile to account for the white/gray point of the material. You will notice an added change in your other colors also. This is the best way to hit the right colors.

You could try doing it with some trial and error also. But whenever you get another light color your going to have issues again and you will have to redo your trial and error with the new color.

MikePro

are you trying to make a field of the PMS130 reflective? try printing some YM on yellow or lemonyellow reflective for best results.
otherwise your best bet is to get the Gerber/3M 280i white, which has the whitest white point of all the reflective vinyls, and print as close as you can manage.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
Reflective inks

For what it is worth, i ended up printing my entire pantone PDF chart on reflective. That way i get to show the customer the difference in color gamut with the media choices.
the only way you will get a better coverage is to double print the color like we do with out mimaki jv33.

-Mosher