• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Prints Fading, Possible Solutions

rdm01

I created some labels for trash cans, printed on IJ180 some with graffiti proof laminate some with 8518. Eco-solvent inks from an Epson GS6000. I was concerned with some of the decals, as they were a mustard shade of yellow. Sure enough, the ones that are more exposed have faded, even though it has only been 5-6 months since they were installed. Seems premature to me, but perhaps not for the printing technology used. It does create a few questions though.

• Is there any printer that would be able to produce a decal that wouldn't be subjected to large amounts of fading after 3-5 years?
  • If no printing technology is going to perform that long, what options does one have for creating decals that can be installed onsite? I don't see cut vinyl holding up to the rigors of a trash can (washing, spills, etc.)

I've posted about fading recently, but it appears to be rearing its ugly head more and more. We're having difficulty recommending solutions that can withstand exposure and still have a decent lifespan. I'm finding very few people are going to purchase a product that has a 3-6 month lifespan, but finding more and more situations where the only long term solutions we have (paint or cut vinyl) are not options for the specific situation.

Attachments

• blp_web.jpg
    blp_web.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 133

a77

Inks from different manufacturers have different lifespans. You should know by now that the GS6000 is notoriously one of the worst. And orange and yellow are the weakest.

I would say that Roland/Mutoh and HP are comparable. It's easier to tell your customer that you are printing with industry standard inks that hold up with "similar technology printers", i.e. eco-solv and latex printers. But when you're using the GS6000 I don't think you can say that.

greysquirrel

Are you using OEM inks or third party? The GS6000 got you about 6 weeks outdoor with the orange...The yellow was the only ink with higher levels of nickel to prevent fading...2 years unlaminated 4 years laminated was the warranty when it was sold...

if using 3rd party I would say all bets are off...

rdm01

OEM Inks. Although between the fading and the constantly replacing heads due to bad black I don't know why we're sticking with them at this point.

How long would Roland, Mimaki, or HP last in similar situations - yellow/orange, heavy exposure, outdoors, IJ180 w/8518? Could you see a year out of it? Two-three?

Are there other methods of production? Print them on our UV flatbed?

TXFB.INS

the other point is the lamination.
does it have UV protection in it, I know some lamination does NOT the UV added to it and is very misleading when used as a protective film.

rdm01

We've laminated everything with 3M 8518 or 3M Graffiti lam. Both have UV protection.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Mutoh's Eco-Ultra Inks are warrantied for 3 years outdoors without lamination. If you get a decent lamination you can get 5 to 7 years depending on material and location.

cbrown

Epson OEM inks are unfortunately terrible I'm afraid to tell you. Had to replace a few jobs that were yellow based..they were the worst. I think if you did some google looking there is information on it out there. We switched over to the bulk ink for the Epson with Triangle ink. This isn't our primary printer so most short term jobs we print on this anymore since I'm not certain about Epson's ink. You still use the green and orange OEM inks- the other 6 colors are Triangle inks... but from what I remember I think the yellow was the worst as far as durability. This was all done through Fellers as they sent out the Triangle Ink guys to set everything up. Yes all cast vinyl & laminate was used on stuff we had to replace....crazy

Snydo

I would use Orafol 3551 with either 290 or 215 lam for that job. We have a contractor with several all black aluminum work trailers with that combo that is 5 years out and I saw 2 of them last fall up close, looked almost as good as the day I installed them with large red text and a 1" yellow stroke. Printed on a Mimaki solvent.

When it comes to Lam you have to read the fine print, they all offer some UV protection but there is a massive spectrum of quality. If you look at the spec sheets for Oraguard 215 for example it says 3+ years UV protection, 290 4+ years, 8500 3M series just says "Superior UV Protection". So basically if you had used Orafol products you would have a legitimate warranty claim.

rdm01

Would having the decals screen print on a vinyl then laminated offer superior results? My thinking is yes, but could be off.

shadowgrapher

Screen printing provides a much thicker ink film and will generally be more durable than digital prints. Colors such as red and yellow still fade faster than others but can still last 4-5 years without lamination depending on the type of ink used and the environment. I've seen 15 year old screen printed decals on a pickup rear window where the vinyl has shrunk and cracked but the ink is still intact and just a little less glossy than new.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm not sure on opaque cut vinyl but translucent yellow can "oxidize", especially if southfacing..Like the screen print idea though.

Why would you use translucent vinyl on something that's not lighted and isn't white? The color of the substrate where the vinyl is applied is going to alter the color immediately.