• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PrismJet VJ 1204

PartyMatt

i don't know how much longer sw is gonna have this "special deal" last time i checked may was the last month for the special pricing, now its june
i sure would like to know,
i think i like it too!!

I don't think the "deal" is going anywhere. When we bought our 1204 in March all the other Mutoh dealers in the country had already sold through their 1204's and were carrying only the 1304's. I asked my salesman if SW got "hung" with a whole warehouse of 1204's. He laughed and said that because SW kicks more Mutoh's out the door than anyone else in the country Mutoh was going to continue to manufacture the 1204 just for them. Obviously this must be the case because they are still selling this model four months later. I think the distribution pipeline would have been cleaned out long ago if Mutoh wasn't pushing some new machines into the other end.

Technically speaking the Prismjet 1204 is not a Valuejet. The hardware is identical (my printer says "Mutoh" right on the front), but the Prismjet does NOT come with ink or an onsite warranty like the other Valuejets. The Valujet 1304 comes standard with ink, an onsite warranty and a take-up reel. If you buy all these options on the Prismjet 1204 you are less than two grand away from a 1304 which has the advantage of being able to use 54" media.

We didn't need a take-up reel or 54" printing and didn't care much about the warranty. So for us the Prismjet was a screaming good deal. A more demanding user might see the 1304 as the better deal, but really, if you need more than a 1204, you need more than a 1304. A really serious small sign shop owner would buy the 1604/1614. The 1600 series machines are a hell of a lot more printer for not a whole lot more money than the 1304.

Compilla

Arston,

Randy,
What can you tell us about the difference between the SW PrismJet VJ 1204 - 48inch printer. and the Mutoh ValueJet??

Is this the same machine ? Same components?
What's the difference other that the firmware and the color??

Please replay I'll buy you a beer...

:toasting:

randya

Randy,
What can you tell us about the difference between the SW PrismJet VJ 1204 - 48inch printer. and the Mutoh ValueJet??

Is this the same machine ? Same components?
What's the difference other that the firmware and the color??

Please replay I'll buy you a beer...

:toasting:

These are NOT being discontinued, SW does have the exclusive rights to these machines in the US.

The VJ1204as, other than firmware (2 banner speeds removed) and cover colors, are not different from the original VJ1204. They still have the world famous 'wave' - intelligent interweaving, the single 8 channel Epson head and the output quality and ease of use to meet the high demands of current printing applications.

Please make mine a Scotch.....

PartyMatt

These are NOT being discontinued, SW does have the exclusive rights to these machines in the US.

The VJ1204as, other than firmware (2 banner speeds removed) and cover colors, are not different from the original VJ1204. They still have the world famous 'wave' - intelligent interweaving, the single 8 channel Epson head and the output quality and ease of use to meet the high demands of current printing applications.

Please make mine a Scotch.....

I've been using Banner 2 on a Prismjet 1204 and I just tried out Banner 4 to see if it works. It does. So what modes are missing?

BTW, is it possible to update the firmware and restore the missing modes? I'm perfectly happy with my Prismjet, but I don't much like the idea of crippling a piece of hardware just for marketing reasons.

PartyMatt

Banner 4 is actually the fastest mode, this is 720x720 4 pass in the VJs.

It takes approximately the same amount of ink to give the same density at every resolution, there are no 'ink saving' modes.

So what, exactly, is the point of a 540x720 banner mode if the 720x720 is faster and better in every respect? Mutoh touts the 540 mode as "perfect for banners." Is the 720 banner mode just "more perfect?" :wink:

randya

I've been using Banner 2 on a Prismjet 1204 and I just tried out Banner 4 to see if it works. It does. So what modes are missing?

BTW, is it possible to update the firmware and restore the missing modes?

Depend on if you have a VJ1204 or a VJ1204as.
The VJ1204 DOES have Banner 2 and Banner 4 mode the VJ1204as does NOT.
If you select Banner 2 (bi)mode in an 'as' it will print as Banner 1 (uni)
If you select Banner 4 (bi) mode in an 'as' it will print as Banner 3 (uni)

Firmware updates will not allow Banner 2 and Banner 4 modes in the 'as' models and VJ1204 firmware will not load in a VJ1204as.

randya

So what, exactly, is the point of a 540x720 banner mode if the 720x720 is faster and better in every respect? Mutoh touts the 540 mode as "perfect for banners." Is the 720 banner mode just "more perfect?" :wink:

Banner 2 mode is 540x720 6 pass.
Banner 4 mode is 720x720 4 pass.

More passes equals less chromatic issues at closer viewing distances.

Most of it boils down to ease of use and more leeway with a wider range of profiles on a wider range of media.

Compilla

Banner 2 mode is 540x720 6 pass.
Banner 4 mode is 720x720 4 pass.

More passes equals less chromatic issues at closer viewing distances.

Most of it boils down to ease of use and more leeway with a wider range of profiles on a wider range of media.

What does the "as" stand for ?

Thanks!

PartyMatt

What does the "as" stand for ?

Thanks!

AS = "Ask Signwarehouse"

as in:

"Ask Signwarehouse" why your salesman never told you that you were getting a firmware crippled printer.

or

"Ask Signwarehouse" why there is nothing on the website that would indicate that a Prismjet 1204 anything other than a stock Valuejet 1204.

or

"Ask Signwarehouse" if they understand the meaning of "full disclosure" and "ethical business practices."

I just had a look at the back of my Mutoh. It says "MODEL VJ-1204AS", so I definitely got the SW version. I'm still pleased with my purchase. We aren't a high volume shop and I got a lot of printer for a very reasonable price. However, I am not pleased that this firmware limitation was not disclosed -- even after I repeatedly grilled my salesman about the differences between the Prismjet and the Valuejet.

I've got four large identical banners that I'm going to be printing next week. I'll run them Banner 1 - 4, and if it turns out that this undisclosed firmware deal is true I will never order another dime of equipment or supplies through Signwarehouse. I don't deal with bait & switch types.

Valentino

luckily I got the first fun on 1204's from Signwarehouse, mine is a VJ1204A and I have loaded new firmware from v1.11 to the new v1.18

PartyMatt

I just got a second to check SW.com about the Prismjet 48 specs.

Go to Signwarehouse.com
Click on "Color Printer Deals" graphic in upper right
Click on "48" MUTOH-made PrismJET VJ w/Flexi Sign Pro" graphic
Click on "More Printer Info"
Click on "Compare its speed to other all-in-one printer/cutters."

I went through all that to show I didn't pull this out of a Google cache. This is info from live links on the SW.com homepage. The direct link is http://www.signwarehouse.com/color-printers/prismjet-v-speed.html

I Quote:

"Why even the PrismJET VJ 48 blazes at 140 sq ft/hr at 720 x 720 dpi, 2 ½ times the print speed of "Brand E"!"

further down the page is a table with the following info

Printer: PrismJET VJ 48
MSRP: $14,995
Print Speed at 720x720 dpi: 140 sq ft/hour

There are two possibilities here and I won't comment on them until I've had a chance to actually benchmark the 1204AS

1. Randya is wrong about Banner 4 being disabled in firmware
2. Sign Warehouse has a class-action lawsuit on their hands.

randya

Dewars? I use that to clean up ink spills.....

Usually Chivas or Glenfiddish...

But in truth, I dont really know what the 'as' stands for.

PSG

I just got a second to check SW.com about the Prismjet 48 specs...

...There are two possibilities here and I won't comment on them until I've had a chance to actually benchmark the 1204AS

1. Randya is wrong about Banner 4 being disabled in firmware
2. Sign Warehouse has a class-action lawsuit on their hands.

I would be highly surprised if Randya is wrong, as he works for Mutoh and is very knowledgeable to there equipment and processes.

PartyMatt

I would be highly surprised if Randya is wrong, as he works for Mutoh and is very knowledgeable to there equipment and processes.

Yeah, I know he works for Mutoh, and I doubt he's wrong. However, I'm not going to accuse a member merchant on this board of advertising fraudulent specs on their hardware until I have proof. This week I'm printing four identical 4'x8' banners for a fireworks tent. I will print one banner in each of the four banner modes. If modes 2 & 4 print at the same speed as modes 1 & 3, then randya will have been proven correct and I will be talking to Signwarehouse . . . and my lawyer . . . and the Better Business Bureau . . . and the Texas State Attourney's Office . . .