• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pro4 vs XC540?? Anyone?

splizaat

Just curious if anyone here ordered or is currently using the new Roland Pro4? If so, what made you opt for that over the XC540....and was the XC540 even an option for you when you made your decision?

Curious to know what people are thinking.

tomence

First of all the new XR is 64" wide with two DX6 printheads, plus it has light black which should give you better grays and it's faster and all for the same price of the XC, so why would you want to buy the XC.

We ordered one already. We currently have a 540 and were looking to add another but went with the pro 4 instead. I liked 2 printhead configuration over the 6 head, and with more speed. The print quality should be much better with the new heads as well as the max 2 inks. Also we wanted the option of the silver inks which are supposed to be much more metallic than previous versions. Hopefully we won't be disappointed, we are expecting it in within the next couple weeks so I'll let you know once we've received it

splizaat

Have you considered the replacement cost of heads on the XR vs XC? THe DX6 heads are in the $3500 range, the DX4 heads are in the $950 range. That's a big reason we're considering the XC540.

Aside from the obvious SIZE 64" vs 54" what are some more options that lead you to the Pro4? We're considering a Used XC to a new XR (similar price). Smaller shop, quickly expanding.

tomence

Roland's cost for DX4 is $1600 x 6 is $9600. So to be fair you should compare aftermarket price to an aftermarket price, which I think that you should be able to find DX6 printhead for less than $2000.

splizaat

The problem tomence, is that when you are having problems with one color ont he XC, it's a $1200 fix... (usually one head at a time needs replacing...maybe two). When you have problem with one color in the XR, you have to replace the whole dx6 head which is $3500 even if everything except one color is having issues or deflection...

Headstrike on an XC takes one, maybe two heads out at the most. Headstrike an XR, and it's $3500 everytime.

and I am pretty sure our local shop is $1200 installed on DX4 heads...roland brand.

tomence

It's your call. I am just giving you my opinion. Is HP Latex an option for your shop, maybe you should consider latex, as long as you don't need print and cut in one.

synergy_jim

first of all, 1 head strike never ruins a head. We've had multiples ( more than I can count ) on our XC and have never had any issues with it.

5 years later and thousands of sq. feet of vinyl later, our XC is still bullet proof. I fully expected to replace a few heads by now... We've made enough $$$$ with our machine that I would be OK if I had to replace all 6 heads tomorrow.

It all goes back to maintenance people. You keep those heads clean, your roland will run forever.....

Now, on to the XR640. It will be the next printer we add. The head arrangement produces superior prints with no banding at all.... Silver on a wrap is going to be amazing...

Jack Knight1979

I was seriously looking at latex for our next machine, but to be honest I wasn't interested in having to buy a rip to run the printer. I planned on keeping my Rolands and didn't want to add another RIP/computer to the shop. Besides, my Rolands have treated me very well over the years. I'm loyal to the brand. For a moment I almost strayed.

After researching the pro4, I've decided that is the machine for our shop. 160sqft an hour on standard (comparable to 8 pass on dx4 machines) print speed. That's awesome. No banding and a light black channel. Also, they eliminated the dual carts per channel that my Pro II's have. Did I mention it also has a cutter? I already have a stand alone cutter, but I'll take another one. Why not?

I can go to MT + Wh if I decide later on as well. I do realize that M+W has it's own set of problems, like cost, and speed to name two, but the option is nice.

Jack Knight1979

No delivery date. I was on the horn with roland last week. Nothing.

I heard that there are only three, maybe five units in the US currently. (From another source. Not roland)

inkmed

I saw some guys mentioned DX6 cost is $3500 and DX4 head cost is $950.
Did your local dealers are crazy?
They are near twice the price.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

BALLPARK

I have a friend that has purchased two of the XR-640's. They were told one would be here by the end of the month and the other later in December.

I will post some feedback on this printer when it is installed later this month.

I'm sure the XR-640 light black will see better gradients and skin tone over the XC-540. It should be about 30-40 square feet faster per hour.

I love the XC-540's as they are workhorses that produce stunning 1440x1440 dpi prints, when needed on projects. But I would buy 2 used XC-540's over one new XR-640, if it comes to down to just a little bit faster and a light black ink.

I have no idea how the new print heads will improve the quality of the prints. The light black with the new EcoSol Max2 inks and new print heads must be a great combo as this printer drops down to a 1440x720 dpi.

I'm curious to see the head cleaning process, new inks and the new swatch color matching system features.

synergy_jim

the head cleaning process is a work of art. I had them shut one down and take the covers off so I could see it at sgia... its a rotary unit now with separate scraper and wiper instead of the old double sided wiper....