• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Problem contour cutting after laminating

busypc

Using VersaWorks with my Roland printer/cutter. Trying to print/lam/cut some large decals with text. The text is cutting perfectly, but the large part of the design is not cutting deep enough. I've looked in Illustrator and everything is set the same (line width, etc.)....Any ideas?

Signed Out

are all the cuts going through ink and how long did the print outgas before laminating also how is the cutting protection strip?

anotherdog

line width is not the answer, No setting in illustrator apart from the ink spot color effects the cut, it's all in Versaworks or the printer. If it is cutting the right design then simply add more pressure in the printer settings. Run a test cut to check the vinyl is cut through but not the backing paper. I know of no printer that has variable pressure cutting...unless you are messing with PERFCUTCONTOUR.

If one side is cutting deeper that the other then you probably need to change your cutting strip.

Did they not give you a manual with versaworks and the printer?

busypc

Don't know understand how it's possible, either. It's cutting the bottom 3 lines of text perfectly. The top portion of the job has the same type cut (versa works contour cut) and just doesn't cut deep enough. I'm afraid if i set the cut any deeper it will cut through the paper on the bottom text.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Don't know understand how it's possible, either. It's cutting the bottom 3 lines of text perfectly. The top portion of the job has the same type cut (versa works contour cut) and just doesn't cut deep enough. I'm afraid if i set the cut any deeper it will cut through the paper on the bottom text.

Is it possible you have a double-layer of outline on the text and not on the graphic? So the text would be double-cutting?

Just a thought...

busypc

I just checked the graphic. No it doesn't, but maybe i'll try to put another contour cut directly on top of the other one for the top portion and see what happens. Thanks!

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
careful doubling up the cutcontour line. I had that happen by accident once and when it went to cut, the lines not only did a double cut but the double cut paths were stopping and starting at odd places... and in the end, I never got a full cut to go through. I had to disect the file, reset the cut line as a completely new layer (not a copy, paste in front; but physically recreated the cut line) - deleted former cut line, saved as a new filename and finally got what I needed to go through.

I dont understand how the bottom is cutting properly but the top is not. Can you remove your blade to see if its possibly gummed up, causing it to not pivot properly? That was one of the issues that arose with our Graphtec.

Good Luck!

busypc

Double cutting helped. But, it bugs me that i would have to do that. So, i put a new fresh blade in, and now it seems to be cutting perfectly. Don't get how it didn't cut the same on the whole design. Actually, if something in the design would not cut correctly I would think it would be the smaller text, not the big straight lines. Go figure! Thanks for all the input.