• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

problem cutting polycarb laminated decals

BRUSHMARKS

i am trying to cut decal kits with decals ranging from .25x.5 up to 4x6. It is on 3651m 36" w/ a lamex 5mil luster polycarb laminate. cutting on the mimaki cg130fx. i have all 3 pinch rollers set on edges and center. When i run through the cutter it wanted to pop up in between the pinch rollers causing it to get blade drag (the blade is scratching the laminate and is noticable). I called our mimaki tech support to see if they have and trick to fix this or if you can add more pinch rollers. They said no to both. So question is: Does anyone lam an dcut with thicker poly carb that has th esame problem? Has anyone found any tricks to get it to work correct?

Cutting thicker materials on a roll-fed plotter can be a real problem, hence the reason for flatbed cutters. When I worked at Mimaki we used to get calls all the time from people having the exact same problem with magnetics or with laminated reflective vinyl in their FXs.

I haven't actually tried this but I'd suggest trying to set up some kind of table in front and back of the plotter so that your media takes a totally flat path across the platen - I think this will help minimize the buckling. Keep your cutting speed really low (maybe 5 - 10 cm/s) and keep the size of your sheets as small as possible (to minimize drag on the tables). Also check that your blade is extended only enough to make your kiss cuts - Excessive extension of the blade will make scratching more likely.

If you decide to give this a go, let me know how you get on.

Rooster

I think the Samurai is onto something with the lay flat technique.

That polycarb is pretty rigid stuff. When it's bent like it is when it runs through the cutter, any time you start cutting through it, it will create a weak spot that rises up into the path of the blade.

Checkers

Polycarbonate is tough material and it sounds like you're trying to cut through it in one pass. Assuming it's a friction fed plotter, that isn't going to happen.

Try cutting (scoring) with multiple passes and less blade pressure.

Checkers