Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with brushes in illustrator

Discussion in 'Corel' started by Waylon, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Waylon

Waylon New Member

Jul 3, 2003
    For a while, I've been trying to figure out how to make custom rope brushes in Illustrator to use for cut vinyl.
    Because the points kind of overlap, I have to divide it in halves that will join in the middle once the brush is applied.

In the first picture, you see what I'm trying to get, but when I expand the brush to make paths, there is a very fine gap in the middle, as you can see in the second picture.
    The third picture is what I'm using to create the brush.
    The fourth is what the paths look like.

Since there is a gap, using the Pathfinder Add to Shape button won't actually make one object out of the two.
    Is there anyway I can make a brush, expand it, then have something that can be cut from vinyl without going over each individual "link" in the rope to fix it?

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      40.2 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      6.2 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      24.9 KB
      Views:
    Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    dont know illy that well, but can you render it at high resolution, rasterize and autotrace? or is there an offset brush setting that will bring them .001 inches closer?

3. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Give the expanded rope graphic a tiny stroke, then expand, then pathfinder. hopefully it's enough to cover that tiny gap.